Discuss hard wiring a computer point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
working in a house which has 3 xhard wired ethernet points,the client wants 2 x additionals in different rooms can someone let me know where the previous point would be connected to,do they tap them of a bt point or would there be a device somewhere in the house they would be connected to as cant seem to find anything.

sorry when i think about it there was a router,but how are the points throughout the house working as there is no rj or what they are called going to the back of it from these 3 x points

you run a cat5 cable from the router to the positions the client wants, you then fit an ethernet plug at the router end and an outlet the other end, you can install secondary phone points where the customer wants them fed from the master point, but you said the customer wanted ethernet points? they are usually yellow leads which connect from your sky box to your router, some modern blue ray players also have ethernet connections as do most lap tops, you need to clarify what they want and why Callum.

so you are saying they would get the internet from the skybox,the story behind this is that this client has just bought this place seen the other ethernet points in the house and wants a couple more in the garage,he does not want sky,where previous owners did because there is a dish,so how will the previous ones work then

No they would get the internet from the router, you do not need sky to access the internet, most routers are wifi today so he probably doesn't even need any hard wired points at all LOL, you can access the internet from any router for broadband which is faster than connecting via a phone point, the internet from phone lines direct takes ages for pages to load, sounds like the customer isn't sure about what they need really, you need to advise them on the best way. If they actually want computer ethernet points you will need to run cabling direct to the broadband router.

From what you are saying, the existing setup is just a bt line, with built in filter plates......this is not a network, its a broadband phone line....so if you require internet access, you must plug the router into on of the rj outlets you wish to use. This wll only allow you to use one computer.

good chance its rj11 ports not 45, will need a filter where they want the router.

best idea is to pull a seperate cable to each point then put in a switch then a cable from there to where they want the router. (put switch in loft/garage etc somewhere easy to add to)

the rj11 are phone points rj45 are ethernet cables

Thing is it is so simple to get a broadband connection where the client wants it, my router has 6 ethernet connection points on the back which means I could have 6 points around the house, most have 3 or 4 as standard, it is also wifi as are all modern routers, regarding filters, everywhere you connect anything to a phone line or ethernet point you add a fiter first, thats a given, the existing 3 cables are irrelevent IMO, if the customer has a router which the OP said he does then just run a new cable to the positions the customer wants, op=consider yourself dismissed

Reply to hard wiring a computer point in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net