Discuss Have the rules for ring mains changed over the years? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

So flex is dangerous? Not sure the cpc 'detects' anything.
Flex demands different requirements and it's clear you were refering to UK flat profiles.

I didn't say any cable was 'dangerous', I said it was less safe and more expensive. No strawmen please.

The cpc is used to carry fault current, which may be to do with an appliance and not the cable's insulation.
Yes, I know.

Bad practice, in my opinion. I wire a downstairs room with the rooms above it. Uses less cable and allows power upstairs and down even if a circuit is out of operation. Tht power may not be in the room you require it, but it won't be far away.
It's not as easy to label the Cu though :)

Which is correct.
The circuit protective conductor (CPC) is used to provide protection from electric shock and to allow sufficient current to flow, so the protective devices can trip.

How can you say its sole job is to react when there is a fault in the insulation, when it's obviously not its SOLE job. ?????

The circuit protective conductor (CPC) is used to provide protection from electric shock and to allow sufficient current to flow, so the protective devices can trip.

How can you say its sole job is to react when there is a fault in the insulation, when it's obviously not its SOLE job. ?????
So you think I said insulation. I can see where the confusion lies now. No, that's not it's sole purpose.

So you think I said insulation. I can see where the confusion lies now. No, that's not it's sole purpose.
You actually said "who's sole purpose is to detect a breach of the dielectric barrier within the run of cable"

Dielectrics are materials that don't allow current to flow. An insulator.

Nine times out of ten, if I had the opportunity I would wire lights to each room on each floor on separate circuits, but this was in the day of incandescent bulbs that would trip a MCB when they blew, saved the whole ground/first floor going into darkness.

Last edited:
Nine times out of ten, if I had the opportunity I would wire lights to each room on each floor on separate circuits, but this was in the day of incandescent bulbs that would trip a MCB when they blew, saved the whole ground floor/first going into darkness.
For upstairs lights, I usually wire all the bedrooms on one lighting circuit, and landing and any passage lights on another. That way, you either have light in the room or just outside it.

Reply to Have the rules for ring mains changed over the years? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net