Search the forum,

Discuss Having a house re-wire, are old back boxes within new regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

NOT GOOD. THOSE EARTHS NEED TO BE CONNECTED TO THE METAL BOXES.
I purposely didn't mention earthing terminals in my first post on this thread, to see if any one else picked it up.
A few weeks ago, I would have agreed fully with the quote above, but since then we've had the 'where can I get plastic 3.5mm screws' thread, which came to the conclusion that it's permitted to use metal screws with unearthed metal back boxes.
It's definitely OK to use unearthed metal boxes with earthed metal plate switches, as long as at least one of the box's lugs is non adjustable, since it's no longer considered necessary (not on my watch, though) to omit the fly lead between a socket and its box, so, taking the two examples together, the cpc must be present in the switch box, but, with a plastic switch, does it need to be connected to anything?

it will take maybe 28 days to get the building control notification processed
It can be available 'instantly' if notified on the NICEIC website (and maybe other schemes too), are the contractors NIC approved? If so no excuse a delay in the Part P cert, which cant be notified (online) until the EIC is finalised (online), but with technology today can be done in a blink of any eye!

I purposely didn't mention earthing terminals in my first post on this thread, to see if any one else picked it up.
A few weeks ago, I would have agreed fully with the quote above, but since then we've had the 'where can I get plastic 3.5mm screws' thread, which came to the conclusion that it's permitted to use metal screws with unearthed metal back boxes.
It's definitely OK to use unearthed metal boxes with earthed metal plate switches, as long as at least one of the box's lugs is non adjustable, since it's no longer considered necessary (not on my watch, though) to omit the fly lead between a socket and its box, so, taking the two examples together, the cpc must be present in the switch box, but, with a plastic switch, does it need to be connected to anything?
I spoke to a family member who is an electrician and according to their view using old plastic back boxes without an earth falls within regs.
I understand your comment is about metal back boxes however I am attempting to get a definitive answer on this scenario where the backbox is plastic, metal screws, standard white switches, loose earth terminal in backbox.

It can be available 'instantly' if notified on the NICEIC website (and maybe other schemes too), are the contractors NIC approved? If so no excuse a delay in the Part P cert, which cant be notified (online) until the EIC is finalised (online), but with technology today can be done in a blink of any eye!
Yes they are nic approved. Thank you for that.

I spoke to a family member who is an electrician and according to their view using old plastic back boxes without an earth falls within regs.
I understand your comment is about metal back boxes however I am attempting to get a definitive answer on this scenario where the backbox is plastic, metal screws, standard white switches, loose earth terminal in backbox.
If the box is plastic and the switch is plastic then the earth should be terminated into a block/Wago for future use if required.

As the whole lot is plastic and non-conductive the screws can be metal with no risk.

If the box is plastic and the switch is plastic then the earth should be terminated into a block/Wago for future use if required.

As the whole lot is plastic and non-conductive the screws can be metal with no risk.
I thought the back boxes were plastic but in fact they are metal but where the screws/bolts go it’s plastic.
Does this change anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 31

Reply to Having a house re-wire, are old back boxes within new regs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back