Search the forum,

Discuss Heat resisting flex for cooker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

comptonspark

Went to wire up a new range cooker today and found that the manufacturers instructions call for a H05v2v2-f 6mm (PVC/PVC 90degree heat resisting) flexible cable.

Fine if that is what the manufacturer recomends, but where can you buy this in cut lenghts??.

I've tried my local wholesalers and online and even the cooker manufacturer but a) nobody stocks it anyway and b) I cant seem to find it in any manufacturers catalogue. I might have to resort to T&E but I don't want to since this would be against the manufacturers spec.

help!

I've found this before too - finding that spec flex is available only up to about 2mm cross-section.

I've tended to have to use regular T&E, but will be interested if anyone else knows where to get what the manufacturers recommend.

Just did a quick google for it and found a supplier minimum order 500 rolls direct from China. I think i will stick to T&E. Murdoch has it summed up i think.

I agree with Murdoch, on this one, It is beginning to bug me that manufacturers are specifying items which are hard to get hold of or in some cases perhaps not really necessary (3A fuses on everything or so it seems).

If they really want this specific cable to be attached to their lovely new cooker, then they should have supplied it as part of the package, or at least make it easy to purchase from their spares organisation. If you spent over a grand on a new telly or hi-fi you would expect to get some interconnecting cables included!

I think the problems will start when insurance companies try to get out of payouts because said cables weren't used. We all know they are almost impossible to get but insurance companies will use anything

Guys becareful a tenant got a serve shock were we live his arm looked bad i wished i took a picture some one had installed a cooker and it shorted out across this guys arm not nice do not use TE for the final connection link use any thing but and check to make sure its RCD and its done all correctly some ones in trouble but dont let it be you..:cuss:

My boss does ripouts and installs/repair work for a company who contract him on a rapid response basis. On a ripout he got a load of butyl cable which he has been using for cooker hookups...ideal that stuff.........

Only joking Glenn, next they'll be saying a cooker will have to installed within a heat resistant cupboard! Utter nonsense.
I think it's a case of a bored 'designer tech' over specifying parts.

Only joking Glenn, next they'll be saying a cooker will have to installed within a heat resistant cupboard! Utter nonsense.
I think it's a case of a bored 'designer tech' over specifying parts.
No probs Archy mate......it is getting a bit silly with health n safety....as long as the cable is able to carry the current demand and is made off right and the run is appropriate.....i wouldn`t mind betting that the fault on cooker mentioned earlier on here was connected by diy charlie...i.e. wrong........and the circuit had no rcd additional protection..........

Guys becareful a tenant got a serve shock were we live his arm looked bad i wished i took a picture some one had installed a cooker and it shorted out across this guys arm not nice do not use TE for the final connection link use any thing but and check to make sure its RCD and its done all correctly some ones in trouble but dont let it be you..:cuss:

Are you being serious here?? Look, ....T&E has been used for the final conections to cookers since before i even started in this industry!! I've never seen, or come to that, ever heard of T&E being damaged by heat from the connected oven or hob!!
Now all of a sudden, it's not suitable and needs to be 6mm butyl flexible cable, that no-body seems to stock. .....Maybe , because no-body buys the stuff, as they are all still using the T&E!!!!

Like i have said earlier my boss uses butyl but only because he rescued it from a ripout....before he got that stuff it was T&E....with no probs and no faults developing....cooker terminations are usually at the bottom of the appliance anyway and as heat rises..............

Last edited:
The thing is though butyl is expensive so how many sparkys will want to pass that on to the customer who wont know or give a damn about the virtues of different types of cable/s?

Went to wire up a new range cooker today and found that the manufacturers instructions call for a H05v2v2-f 6mm (PVC/PVC 90degree heat resisting) flexible cable.

Fine if that is what the manufacturer recomends, but where can you buy this in cut lenghts??.

Could you use H07RNF (A rubber flex with the same heat resistance) as this is readily available (and what I used last to connect my last cooker as that was what that manufacturer recommended) ?

I use H07RN-F for wiring up cookers and ovens. I keep it in various csa's, all of which are rreadily available by the metre from Edmundsons (I tend to get 15m at a time). If you're really desperate Citys can get it by the metre too.

H07RN-F is also useful for a host of other situations too - recently did an external shower run in it using swa cleats to attach it to the wall.
Also great for running across catenary wires.

Always use end terminals on it though (cord end, ring, spade etc according to application)

Another source for H07RNF is any supplier to the entertainment industry - it's the standard cable referred to as "TRS" used for mains extensions in stage lighting applications, they'll all sell it by the metre and shift a lot more of it than most local electrical wholesalers so may provide more competitive pricing.

I use H07RN-F for wiring up cookers and ovens. I keep it in various csa's, all of which are rreadily available by the metre from Edmundsons (I tend to get 15m at a time). If you're really desperate Citys can get it by the metre too.

H07RN-F is also useful for a host of other situations too - recently did an external shower run in it using swa cleats to attach it to the wall.
Also great for running across catenary wires.

Always use end terminals on it though (cord end, ring, spade etc according to application)
You can also just use a black (tough) cable for exterior/catenary runs. We dont use pvc as it is effected by UV light (although i have seen it used outside with no protection on numerous occasions).....

I think the manufacturers are taking a fat chance specifying a particular model of cable, they should be giving a general spec with regard to cable size and temperature range etc......it's like a car manufacturer saying you can only use BP petrol in their car instead of saying it must run on unleaded.

H07 neoprene rubber cable is a great all-round trailing cable, we use it regularly for numerous applications. I have stock from 0.75 3-core all the way through to 16mm 5-core, it might even come larger than that as well. I can't think of any application where H07 couldn't be used in place of H05.

H07 neoprene rubber cable is a great all-round trailing cable, we use it regularly for numerous applications. I have stock from 0.75 3-core all the way through to 16mm 5-core, it might even come larger than that as well. I can't think of any application where H07 couldn't be used in place of H05.

You can get it up to 35mm. I’ve used lots of 3 X 35 to supply these beasts

View attachment 7644

Are you being serious here?? Look, ....T&E has been used for the final conections to cookers since before i even started in this industry!! I've never seen, or come to that, ever heard of T&E being damaged by heat from the connected oven or hob!!
Now all of a sudden, it's not suitable and needs to be 6mm butyl flexible cable, that no-body seems to stock. .....Maybe , because no-body buys the stuff, as they are all still using the T&E!!!!
totally agree never seen a burnt twin and earth to an oven or hob . i would also like appliance manufacturers to put decent sized terminal boxes for connecting said t&E cable into. I've opened up many an oven fro low to top end stuff that appears to be wired in bits of 1.5mm heat resistant cable. that i have to connect a6.0mm onto
--- covering most def

Heat resistant 4mm butyl flex 3183TQ is available by the metre from TLC - in Slough or online. It is rated at 35 amps.

The problem is not the T&E cable being damaged by heat, but the insurance company not paying out if the house does burn down for any reason.

Heat resistant 4mm butyl flex 3183TQ is available by the metre from TLC - in Slough or online. It is rated at 35 amps.

The problem is not the T&E cable being damaged by heat, but the insurance company not paying out if the house does burn down for any reason.

Don't be an ---, well over 90% and probably a hell of a lot more domestic cookers will have been terminated with 6mm/10mm or it's imperial equivalent T&E!! So how many insurances claims do you know of, that has been refused because of using T&E to connect a cooker? Now let me take a wild card guess here ...NONE!!

maybe not, eng. but it's a case where they might try and wriggle out of paying out. you know what a bunch of winkers insurance companies are.

Reply to Heat resisting flex for cooker in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net