Discuss Help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Booboo

Hello to everyone.

I wonder please can you help me with a problem regarding some new ceiling lights I had fitted today.

Previously the fittings for my lounge and dining room were a three-light fitting, with a 60w bulb in each.
These new ones are also a three-light fitting but with 40w bulbs.
I didn't realise how much difference in light these would give out. Naturally not as bright.

Would it be okay for me to get 60w bulbs to put into them, or is that dangerous?.

Thank you.
Booboo.

Two things that might limit the power of the lamps (bulbs). First is if there's a dimmer, if you use a higher overall wattage of lamps it could be damaged. Second is the manufacturers instructions, some light fittings have a limit to the wattage of the lamps to avoid heat damage occurring to the fitting.

Thank you for your reply Marvo. I don't have dimmer switches fitted.
There were little stickers on the lamps with 40w written on it.
Best then I try and get used to the less brightness. Shame I never thought about it with more thought, or I would have made sure they were okay for 60w bulbs.

You might be able to change the lamps (aka bulbs) to LED types, that are much brighter.

Thank you for your reply too SJD.

I am a bit out of my depth in what to ask really, but if I get the equivalent 40w in a LED type would that maybe be as bright as a 60w normal filament bulb do you think?.

An LED lamp consumes maybe 1/7 the power. To get 60W filament equivalent, an LED lamp might be only 8 or 9W.
But it depends a bit on the lamp fitting and type.

Thank you so much. I will get those then and give them a try.

I so appreciate the help. :)

If you are buying LED lamps, you often will get a choice of colour temperature - the spectrum of the nominally white light output - more towards blue, or towards red - typically lamps come in warm white, and cool or daylight white, sometimes there are three options. You might want to buy one lamp (bulb) and check you are happy with it; or buy them from somewhere you can return them if needed.

I had just thought about getting three for one of the light fittings to see how they are. You read my mind, or I read yours. :)

Amazing the difference in brightness, I never thought at all about the 40w compared to 60w. Of course it dawned as soon as I turned the lights on.
I have a lot to learn for sure. :)

As soon as I get them, I will pop back here to say how they are for brightness.

Thank you.

If the fitting had stickers stating 40watt max then I wouldn't try my luck with a 60w because it will probably melt the plastic components of the fitting of deteriorate the internal wiring.

I'd second the suggestion of LED replacement lamps, from my general experience you should find that a 7 watt LED would be a good place to start. Maybe try a larger lighting outlet and see if they can demonstrate the LED lamps side by side with a 60watt filament lamp so you can get a better idea of what you're buying before you commit your hard earned cash.

Thank you Marvo.

That is a great idea to ask for the demonstration. I never thought about asking for that before I buy any. I will be going in the morning to the local B&Q store. Sure they will be kind enough to help me with this regarding letting me see the brightness of them.

Thank you again, as I so appreciate all the help I have been given.

B&Q might be able to demo but I'm not sure, we don't have B&Q's in my neck of the woods. Maybe one of the UK guys will confirm or maybe they'll give you some other suggestions if you state your rough location.

B&Q is a large D-I-Y store. I can't think of anywhere else that would stock several sizes, and who would be kind enough to demonstrate them for me.
But if anyone can help with anywhere else fairly local to me - I live in Bolton Lancashire.

Time for some sleep for me now, it is well past my beauty sleep time. 11.40pm. :)

B&Q do not stock an overly large range of GLS LED light bulbs, but the 810lm Osram light bulbs may be just slightly less bright than a 60W light bulb.

They often have small display board somewhere with example lamps installed and operational to allow you to compare.

Thank you Richard. I have written this down, added to the list. :)

I will be going there around 10am, will pop back and let all know how it all went.

If you need to buy online, this one from LED hut might be suitable (depending on lamp base and size):

9.5 Watt - B22 High Output Standard Shape LED Bulb - B22 (bayonet cap) - LED Bulbs

Click on "See full in formation >>" at bottom left of top info box for full details. Also note that you need to select options for warm white / cool white and dimmable or not.

If you're comparing brightness between lamps, it's the "Lumens" figure that matters, not "Watts".

Last edited:
Thank you too HandySparks. I had peeped in just before I left, and saw the good idea of yours as well. So appreciate you coming on to help.

Quite rightly at B&Q not a wide range in what was suggested, but a helper there showed me the Osram bulbs as you mentioned Richard, as the LED you mentioned SJD, and Marvo, there were quite a few of them. So that is what I got in the end. Naturally I won't know the full effect until this evening, but there was a display set there, and the man kindly added a bulb like I bought, to show me, and it really does seem it will be ideal.

Thank you so much to everyone, and I really do appreciate all the thoughts and help you have offered to me.

If at any time in the future I am in need of help, then here I will come for sure, and recommend this great forum to anyone I get to hear needs help.

Hugs to all, and thank you. :)

Reply to Help please in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net