Discuss Help pricing for a job..... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm sorry about this, I can imagine a lot on here have probably had this style of question a thousand times.
I've recent got my self-certification and went self employed. The thing I really am struggling with, and I'm sure everyone must go through it, is pricing.
I understand how most people work things out but the problem I've got because I'm relatively, errm how should I say inexperienced in various jobs, is that I'm probably a bit slower then someone who has been doing it for 20 years. I can quote the bigger jobs because I've been quoting for building firms won a few and the ones I lost I know I was in the right ball park.
It's the smaller jobs I'm struggling with.
So, I'm not going to ask you your prices but time :
a)Outside feed to shed, SWA, 30 mtrs clipped to building, 2 way CCU light and socket?
b)Spur in trunking - same wall?
c)8 way CCU upgrade?Bonding adequate
d)Install fan/isolator in bathroom (no drilling of hole)
e)Outside security light-straight through wall and conduit

all jobs relevantly certified.

I understand that in reality every 'similar' job will be different but take them all as straightforward. This is more an exercise for me to competitively price rather than speed up!

Thanks

Hi Luminous, as you know ever job is different. I think you should allow 3 1/2 days for the work, if you look at a day for the board change - it should only take you a couple of hours at the most to change the board but the testing takes time to be done properly. Also, if you are on your own and relatively slow with being new this will give you ample time. You haven't said the size of the house but 8 circuits isnt too bad.
Once you get going with the armoured you should fly along when you get into the swing of it - the thing that may make a difference to that is the height you are clipping it - if its up ladders it will take a lot longer.
If the bathroom fan is going through the loft, it will be a doddle - providing the loft isnt floored. I am guessing that because there is trunking elsewhere that the wall are not plasterboard 'dot and dab' and will need either chased or trunking for the isolator - most likely the latter so that is easy enough. The outside light sounds straightforward too, as long as the run of conduit isnt too far.

The problem with allowing 3 days is that hikes the price up so the customer will have to pay for your inexperience, which, if they are getting other quotes is where you may lose out - unless your daily rate is lower to compensate that. Not sure how much you change for a board change but i generally charge around the 350 mark, and the baord should cost you no more the 100 so that gives you a little to play with if you go over the time. I wouldnt tell the customer you have priced for the 3 days, just give them a price per job - just in case another spark says it will take them less as i think it should be done in two days, maybes 2 1/2 at the most

Good luck

just another thought - you didnt say what you are doing with the 2 way board - ie taking circuits from that or just leaving it

Last edited:
Thanks SC. These are just examples that I thought up to cover a bit of a range so I could gauge what would make me competitive. I'd rather win jobs for less of a day rate than nothing at all whilst im starting up and doing things slower. Board changes have been taking about a day.Saying that, I have got a job to price for the outside shed, 2 way ccu, 2 pendant and a socket. That's what got me to posting really.

SC, are you saying 3 1/2 days for the whole lot or just for the shed run.i meant time each task individually.i was estimating the shed to take 2 days. am i underestimating that?

yeah, i would say 3 1/2 days for the whole lot. The shed shouldnt take you any more than a day at the very most. Once you get into the rythm drilling the holes for the cleats and them fixing them you will fly through 30 mtrs, its only gonna be around a hundred cleats, so not that bad. Of course you need to account for what you are doing to terminate the ends.I am guessing you are gonna clip twin and earth in the shed, for the socket and pendant, which shouldnt take more than an hour or two. I did a similar job last weekend, 58 mtrs 4mm 3 cores clipped to a fence, and ty-rapped in some parts, wired from a spur in the kitchen to an outdoor socket, to another socket in a greenhouse and then finally to the shed. Took just over half a day to do, and i thought that was taking my time as it was pouring with rain so i couldnt leave my tools out.

I agree you need to keep your day rate low while you are getting the experience, just so that you can win the work, but obviously not so low that you are not making a living. Pricing is a nightmare, and you will have some jobs where you will lose out, and others that you will come up trumps. I think pricing is often harder than doing the work. Things are so competitive these days, you do virtually end up doing things for next to nothing

Reply to Help pricing for a job..... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net