Discuss Help! With oven and hob wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just having new kicthen installed and noticed that they wired 2.5mm HR flex off the cooker switch. The 2.5mm HR flex feeds to a dual cooker outlet which will power a 16amp cooker and a 32amp induction hob. The cooker switch is 6mm cable with a 32amp breaker.

Is this okay?

Many Thanks

Who's wired it up and has there been any other electrical work / alterations done?

A Kitchen Fitter?
An "Electrician"?
Or a Trained and Qualified Electrician, who will issue paperwork for the electrical installation?

Thanks for your reply so it's not wired correctly as from the cooker switch to the dual outlet is 2.5mm HR flex but from the fuse board to the cooker switch is 6mm t+e.

It doesn't sound like it's wired correctly - The cable from the cooker switch to the dual outlet plate should be equivalent rating to the cable back to the fusebox. to allow for the loading that might be placed on it now or in the future.

Check that it is 2.5mm flex as it's just possible that it's wired in 4mm Flex, which would probably be OK since that can have a rating of 32A. However, if this is a kitchen fitter installing then that seems unlikely, as 4mm flex is less common and can't be obtained as easily from the likes of Screwfix.

From the Dual Outlet Plate it is reasonable to wire in 2.5mm HR flex for the oven and then a suitable flex to the hob (4mm may well be the right choice for that, though many hobs come with their own flex which is sometimes smaller because the manufacturer has decided that is safe)

Just to add that you should be getting a certificate for this work, And that means someone actually testing it to ensure that the earth continuity is complete, etc, RCD protection is in place for the new sockets, etc.

If the person installing doesn't have the facility to test that, then he shouldn't be doing the work.

Thanks for everyones replies, The fitter told me because its an existing circuit the work isn't notifiable so he can carry it out. So if he wires from the cooker switch in 6mm t+e to the dual outlet and then 2.5mm HR to the oven and hob this will be okay?

Or probably best to get an electrician to inspect the whole circuit?

Many Thanks

Get an electrician in full stop never let a kitchen fitter touch your electrics.
An electrician should provide you with a Minor Works Certificate, a kitchen fitter will provide you with nothing as they know no better.

Reply to Help! With oven and hob wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net