Search the forum,

Discuss Hi fellow sparkies need some help...brain is melting in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chrisn99

Hi Guys,

introduction first....I'm Chris an electrician of 10 years...still have soo much to learn.

im having a little spot of bother with an electric boiler installation....my mind is now officially frazzled tonight and I'm back there tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.

i have the following. 10a mcb that when energised sends power to a switch in the mains cupboard which is fed off the terminals 5 and 6 of the credit meter. So we have a 2.5 t&e from the terminals into the dp switch feed in L & N. Interestingly the t&e blue cable is sleeved brown from terminal 5. We have a twin brown with one cable into L feed out and the other into N feed out.

When I energised the mcb one of the twin browns came live and also another internal cable by the boiler came live. This cable is meant to be the off peak input to the boiler.

My voltage readings are strange and as follows. Terminal 5and 6 to met- 244V at credit meter. Twin brown to MET - 244V. These ok. Twin brown to CPC -107 V. Indicate no earth path? Switch by boiler L-N-E -137 V.

there are no junction boxes, no economy 7 meters, in fact the only available accessible item is the CU..
my question is - can I come off the terminals 5 and 6 to a 10A MCB in its own enclosure to provide an off peak supply? Or do these terminals only allow for energising a radio switch?

a photo would help. and what's the rating of the boiler?

Little more research has shown me the light.....perhaps. Terminals 5 and 6 are live out and return. There must be a time clock somewhere and I'll take photos tomorrow. Thanks

Reply to Hi fellow sparkies need some help...brain is melting in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net