Discuss Hi,what EICR code would you give for pendant light in a bathroom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,what code would you give gor this light in a bathroom.Please see photo.Thank you in advance for the answer.

Attachments

• 16256966252845905216797903427665.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 33
Best Practice Guide suggests C2 where a light is not IP rated and may be dangerous, or C3 where it is not immediately dangerous.

I'd go C2 on that, as it looks like it's nearly in zone 1 - though that does depend on the height - if it's above 225cm then it's outside zones anyway so can only be C3.

I assume there's a shower somewhere? Is it one that could be pointed at the light, accidentally or otherwise? that's would make it a definite C2 for me I think, even if it's RCD protected...

If there's not shower then I'd consider it a C2.5 - probably been there with no issues for years, but needs to be fixed....

If you can reach it will standing in the bath C2 , if it’s out of reach then check it is above 2.25m then no code

never quite understand why an electrician would fit a batton lamp holder in a bathroom

If it were inside zone 2 it would still fail because the shock guard isn’t IP44.
Apologies, posted pre coffee.
I hadn't read the thread properly and assumed it was a re-run of the 'But you might change the bulb while naked and standing on the edge of the bath.' argument.
As above the guidance on what kind of fittings can go where in a bathroom is clear and abundant.

OSG, and BPG 4 and of course the BBB amongst others.

Thanks for all the replies,just one more thing at the time of fitting that batten was not against any regs probably so my question is does it have to be upgraded,I mean situation with all the plastic consumer units,they do not have to be upgraded to metal ones unless you change them anyway,you just can not install another plastic one.Once again thanks for answers.

When I first started, it was the preferred lamp fitting for a bathroom, but had to be fitted with a ' HO skirt', which is probably similar to the 'shockguard' one. Pendants were not allowed, and little else was available.
Although legal when installed, I doubt if a shower of any kind was present then, and on that basis, that conditions have changed, I'd code it C2 if it's in zone 2. If it's not in zone 2, you can note it and recommend that it's changed, but you cannot give a coding that makes the installation "unsatisfactory".
Curiously, If it's in zone 2 with a lamp fitted, it's almost certainly outside of the zones if you remove the lamp.

never quite understand why an electrician would fit a batton lamp holder in a bathroom
A lot of bathrooms never had showers when they were originally built, hence the name bathroom. And dependant on which version of BS7671 there were designed and installed to then zones may not have even been in existence.

then zones may not have even been in existence.
I still think of bathroom zones as something relatively new!
The 'old' wording was " not in reach of a person using a bath or shower" (which is further than zone 2), but IIRC, only applied to switches. I don't think lamps were mentioned, although 'common sense' was expected back in the dy.

Back in the day, you needed a light fitting with a bayonet socket so you could plug in your electric razor. I think I have a two way adapter in a box for this very purpose!

View attachment 87483
My nan used to plug her iron into it, those 5 amp fuse wires were really good... ???

Back in the day, you needed a light fitting with a bayonet socket so you could plug in your electric razor. I think I have a two way adapter in a box for this very purpose!

View attachment 87483
I keep one of these on board for use when I'm working in a large room with just a single pendant or similar. A 150W lamp in each socket really brightened up the place.
I also had a very dubious bit of equipment, comprising a B22 plug wired to a 13A trailing socket. Not so useful in these days of cordless tools, but has saved rolling out a long extension lead, just to drill one hole, on many occasions. Health and safety types would no doubt have had an apoplectic fit, but perfectly safe if used with intelligence switched on.

View attachment 87483
that's for mum's iron.she - took a bit of time learning not to put the iron on the fire, but think she's got it now.

dunno about the pendant in the bathroom, but i'd give a plumber in a bathroom a C!.

Reply to Hi,what EICR code would you give for pendant light in a bathroom in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net