Discuss Home internet network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am in the process planning a loft conversion with dorma. Part of doing this will involve ripping my upstairs back to brick. Whilst I am doing this I will install extra sockets, update lighting smokes etc.

I am debating if it's worth installing a wired network to the upstairs and loft. We donr have a particular fast wifi, in fact it's the lowest and cheapest you can get but I plan to change to a faster one.

What components and configuration should i consider?

Cat 5/6 cable
Data outlet plates
Cat 5/6 connectors

Do all the cables from the data outlet plates just go back to the router?

If you look at the back of the router, you hopefully will find 4 ports for RJ45 plugs to go in.
You can run cables from the loft to the router and put a Wifi access point in the loft, that should be fast enough, Cat5 is enough and easier to manage, Cat6 gives you up to 10 times faster once the hardware is available on the router and access point.

IMO it's a no-brainer - stick some cabling in while you are ripping the place apart. Once in, it can be used for other things than just networking.
Stick 2 cabkes to each location - the cost is little more than a single cable, and it gives you more options in the future.
Run all the cables back to one point - whetever is convenient for terminating multiple cables. If this isn't by you router, run another cabke to that and use a network switch to "split" the network to the multiple outlets. At your central point, terminate all the cables in fixed sockets (you can fit 4 sockets on a double faceplate) and use short patch leads to the router or switch.

Thanks for the info,

Would cat 6 be more future proof?

You mention it can be used for other things not just networking. What things can it be used for?

Also, it I was to run 2 cables to each location, would that be 2 cat 5/6 cables?

Yes Cat6 would work - 2 cables to every outlet - Using Cat6 would be of no benefit but would allow you a 10G circuit with cabling up to 39M.
Todays (service provider) equipment only works at 1G so unless you're expecting to transfer MOD information across it, of no benefit.
Recently installed 700 cat5e circuits for an MRI centre, reason being the equipment for 10G was not needed.
Also unless you're using a Fluke tester - How do you know the capability of the cabling anyway??
Most amateurs just use a flashing set of lights??
What that proves I don't know... Except that a light says it's in the right hole...

Capability of the cabling? The capability of the cabling should be within the spec??

Testing the cabling to ensure damage free correct termination can be confirmed by a proper tester. Although, they usually have flashing lights.

Cat6 is slightly more expensive, bulkier, and harder to terminate than Cat5e. Unless you have long runs then I doubt most home users would ever find a real difference in performance.
Testing even with a flashing light tester is useful to deyermine that you have pin 1 at one end connected to pin 1 at the other - but they do not detect split pairs. To detect split oapairs irs you do need an active tester that can detect the poor crosstalk performance that results and which will kill networking. A "proper" tester can also tell you where your bad connections are, not just that you have one.
Other things you can run over this cabling includes your phone line and video. For video this can be analogue (e.g. CCTV camera) which needs one pair and a balun each end, or digital using HDMI to Cat5e/6 converters. The HDMI converters can use 1 or 2 cables - the ones using 2 cables have less restrictions.

Ok so cat 5 is the way forward.

So are we saying its advisable to run 2 cables to each point?

I'm going to house a switch somewhere and route a cables there to enable more options

At least 2 cables. If you are running cables to a tv then maybe more. You might need one for the tv, one for sky, one for xbox, one for firestick etc. Better to have too many than too few.

Yes Cat6 would work - 2 cables to every outlet - Using Cat6 would be of no benefit but would allow you a 10G circuit with cabling up to 39M.
Todays (service provider) equipment only works at 1G so unless you're expecting to transfer MOD information across it, of no benefit.
Recently installed 700 cat5e circuits for an MRI centre, reason being the equipment for 10G was not needed.
Also unless you're using a Fluke tester - How do you know the capability of the cabling anyway??
Most amateurs just use a flashing set of lights??
What that proves I don't know... Except that a light says it's in the right hole...
At least 2 cables. If you are running cables to a tv then maybe more. You might need one for the tv, one for sky, one for xbox, one for firestick etc. Better to have too many than too few.

Is there no way 1 data outlet could be converted into 2 or 3 outlet via a connector? I'm just concerned running 2 or 3 cables to each point on the off chance of using them. I'm defo running 1 to each point but not sure the extra is necessary

Single cable from router to loft area then multi port switch for hardwired equipment.

Capability of the cabling? The capability of the cabling should be within the spec??

Testing the cabling to ensure damage free correct termination can be confirmed by a proper tester. Although, they usually have flashing lights.

Thats a verification tool, with flashing lights - Amateurs use.

A certification tool (A Fluke DTX or DSP) is the only tool that will confirm its parameters are at spec, any professional, qualified installer would have this.

Attachments

• Home internet network Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 18.29.55 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 18.29.55.png
    498 KB · Views: 6
  • Home internet network Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 18.39.04 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 18.39.04.png
    307.4 KB · Views: 6

The capability of the cabling after it has been installed, poor installation practice can dramatically affect the performance of data cables.
Tight bends, kinks, overtightened cable ties, crushing, poor termination can all reduce the performance of the cable but still pass a basic continuity test.

A 'proper tester' doesn't confirm continuity or just have flashy lights. You are thinking of the basic continuity checkers available for ~£5, a 'proper' tester is more likely to set you back £5000.
[automerge]1596054107[/automerge]
Is there no way 1 data outlet could be converted into 2 or 3 outlet via a connector?

Not by a simple Y split, you need a network switch to 'split' a network connection.

Network connections carry a digital data signal, if you attempt to y split the cable you will have all sorts of problems. Imagine trying to listen to two different pieces of music through the same speaker at the same time, that a basic idea of the what the device at the other end of the network connection will be facing.

The capability of the cabling after it has been installed, poor installation practice can dramatically affect the performance of data cables.
Tight bends, kinks, overtightened cable ties, crushing, poor termination can all reduce the performance of the cable but still pass a basic continuity test.

A 'proper tester' doesn't confirm continuity or just have flashy lights. You are thinking of the basic continuity checkers available for ~£5, a 'proper' tester is more likely to set you back £5000.
[automerge]1596054107[/automerge]

Not by a simple Y split, you need a network switch to 'split' a network connection.

Network connections carry a digital data signal, if you attempt to y split the cable you will have all sorts of problems. Imagine trying to listen to two different pieces of music through the same speaker at the same time, that a basic idea of the what the device at the other end of the network connection will be facing.

Well I'm not investing in that kind of tester. What can I do to confirm the condition of the cable.

I'm still confused by the term "capability" it's not the sort of terminology I'd expect when referring to the condition of a cable. That would be more like integrity or condition etc....

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs, its just a little confusing

Well I'm not investing in that kind of tester. What can I do to confirm the condition of the cable.

I'm still confused by the term "capability" it's not the sort of terminology I'd expect when referring to the condition of a cable. That would be more like integrity or condition etc....

For a home installation a simple flashy light tester is all I would use, and I suspect its all anyone would use. Confirm continuity and as long as it all works then carry on. Certification and qualification of the cables (yes they are technically different things) is not necessary for normal domestic installs in my opinion.

Capability refers to its data transmission capability, in basic terms it refers to the maximum data speed that the cable is capable of transmitting without the signal becoming degraded. This is affected by many things with high speed data cables, physical damage, length of cable, not maintaining the correct twists in the pairs at terminations and all manner of other things.

Testing a data cable is different to testing a power cable.

I think he was referring to these, often used when you are desparate, basically the 8 cores are split into 2 X 4cores to enable doubling up
As long as you don't want faster than 100M or want PoE then yes, they will get you out of a fix.
But you really want to keep the option of 1G these days. Also, should you want to run (e.g.) HDMI over Cat5e then you cannot share the cable with anything else. That's why I'd suggest runnibg two cables.
But for the networking, if you need more connections, just use a switch - even 1G switches are cheap these days.
For a home installation a simple flashy light tester is all I would use, and I suspect its all anyone would use.
Not quite "anyone" ;-) A few years ago I spotted some ex-rental Fluke DSP100 testers with smart remote going for a very attractive price. Only Cat5, not Cat5e, but if it's OK for Cat5 then it's unlikely to fail for Cat5e - and it's earned it's keep over the years. Apart from "certifying", the initial continuity test will tell you where any breaks or errors are which can save a massive amount of time.
I used to do a bit of installation work at my previous day job - when I started there, all they had was a "blinky light box".
Confirm continuity and as long as it all works then carry on. Certification and qualification of the cables (yes they are technically different things) is not necessary for normal domestic installs in my opinion.
I'd agree with that. Double check all your connections as you do them, and take care how you handke the cable, and you aren't likely to have problems.

One thing I would say is to doubke check how your jacks (sockets) need to be wired. It's a common source of confusion and problems. If in doubt, come back here and ask.

Reply to Home internet network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock