Discuss Hot water Cylinder Stat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iceman2010

have noticed for a while now that the hot water cylinder stat might not be working correctly. Hot water is timed for morning and evening only however as it only comes on for a few hours i just put it down to it not heating up fully, stat is on 55c.

Now this morning, i switched on the immersion heater which heated the water, all this while the boiler was still heating the HW. After all baths were done with, the immersion gets switched off at 7 as we have an economy 7 meter, the boiler was still going, central heating was not calling for heat. I started hearing tapping and bizzare sounds in the hw cylinder after an hour or so. The pipeline coming out the top was very hot. I turned down the hw stat and it didnt click off until it got to 40c. I left it off for a few minutes until boiler and pump were off, so this all works. Then turned the stat back up and it immediately clicked at 40c and pump started running. the water in the tank is def above 40c though not sure how i can check for sure.

So does this mean that the stat is faulty?

Where about on the cylinder is the stat? The top of the cylinder will be hotter than the bottom. The stat is normally about 1/4 up from the bottom of the cylinder.

Also it could be that the stat is not making good enough contact with the cylinder, so it's not responding to the actual cylinder temperature.

Sounds like you are having lots of issues with your heating system from this thread and the other other thread about your thermostat. You can get a whole Drayton lifestyle y-plan pack for about £80, maybe worth considering and getting a sparky to re terminate the wiring centre and change the controls over at the same time.

Sounds like you are having lots of issues with your heating system from this thread and the other other thread about your thermostat. You can get a whole Drayton lifestyle y-plan pack for about £80, maybe worth considering and getting a sparky to re terminate the wiring centre and change the controls over at the same time.

That's the best bet, pay someone who knows how the system is to mean't work and let them put it right.

yes indeed, but i like to know whats going on and understand for myself. i have a sparky sitting next to me right now and can easily get this stuff sorted.

had someone come out last week to look at my boiler issue and said it needed a clean and heat exchanger was blocked and needed a powerflush. Am sure it does but i had a feeling this wasnt the issue i was having and was thinking since the beginning it was the pump.. turns out my bro in law had a pump he took out from a job so we gave it a try and it sorted my problem.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying that the professionals dont know what they are doing but i like to know what im getting in for.

Why don't you get the sparky to open up the wiring centre and test that everything is switching correctly then, check programmer is switching ch on, hw on, hw off, sl from room thermostat switching the valve, check valve is actually switching, check cylinder thermostat is switching both ways (on and satisfied) as it's a y-plan.

surely he should know what he's looking at any way and as he's sat next to you he would prob be best to advise you.

Why don't you get the sparky to open up the wiring centre and test that everything is switching correctly then, check programmer is switching ch on, hw on, hw off, sl from room thermostat switching the valve, check valve is actually switching, check cylinder thermostat is switching both ways (on and satisfied) as it's a y-plan.

surely he should know what he's looking at any way and as he's sat next to you he would prob be best to advise you.

all the wiring has been checked and is correct, timer and stats are switching correctly. just this cylinder thermostat doesnt seem to be recognizing that the water has reached temperature and always switching on and off at 40d

Reply to Hot water Cylinder Stat in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net