Discuss How do I document this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got permission from DNO to change earthing system from TT to TNCS on 2 commercial offices, after poor Ze(s) measured on EICRs.

This now fixes 1 property as Satisfactory but the other is still unsatisfactory and doesn't look like it will all be fixed anytime soon as the landlord and tenant disagree on responsibility to fix other issues!

How should the earthing change be documented?

When you tested it, it was a TT. What is to document? the change was not done by you and the report's earthing arrangement was correct at the time. If you were to carry out any more work then you'd tick the appropriate box but till then I don't see that it's your problem

This is SSE. If poor TT earth, give them a call for 'PME Enquiry', they come around do some measurements and if OK, they make a hole in the head for the earth, or do that themselves and connect the earth to an earth block. Its then up to me to connect to the installation.

In this case the engineer also removed the 'no pme earth' label that was there originally.

New overheads has given the opportunity to upgrade to PME.

This is SSE. If poor TT earth, give them a call for 'PME Enquiry', they come around do some measurements and if OK, they make a hole in the head for the earth, or do that themselves and connect the earth to an earth block. Its then up to me to connect to the installation.

In this case the engineer also removed the 'no pme earth' label that was there originally.

New overheads has given the opportunity to upgrade to PME.

Exactly! It is the DNO who are creating the PME, and you who is merely connecting to it.

Before i'd touch any DNO Cut Out, to physically change an earthing system, (especially where PME is involved) i would want that permission in writing, on official company headed paper and signed by the DNO's Area Manager. Anything else and you're leaving yourself wide open and extremely vulnerable if anything goes wrong.

If you think for even a minute, any of these DNO's will stand up in a court of law, ...and admit passing off work, only they themselves are statutorily responsible for, then god help you, you're in for a very rude awakening!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to How do I document this in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net