Discuss How do you wire bt points in a rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Eddiesparks

I always learnt to do a run of cable from each point back to the master , that way you can use it for networking (apparently!! I heard that a while ago from a dodgy source!) - i run it in cat 5e to futureproof

Is that called a star config?!

Is it just as good to run from master to the next point to the next to the next etc etc?

What are the benefits of each way? I just did a huge house and thought a chain would've been loads easier!!

Thanks

I have been running the bt points in lately during 1st fixing and have just run one cable from the master in the cupboard to the first point then one from that point to the next etc.

both are good ways,but you should only have 3pairs terminated on the slave side of the main nte,because it gets a bit harder to term ie the pins get wider an wires start pinging out, so if it a lot of extns I would loop in out from box to box.

We not tend to wire them in cat5e or similar then use a IDC panel if its a large house this enables you to future proof the wiring. But the norm would be to go in and out to the next

No issues using cat 5 as its far better than standard cheap phone cable tbh and it does give a few more options, also cat 5 can be used for both network and phone if its limited to 10mb as that only needs 2 pairs, always run as a star configuration as its better for broadband purposes, the master socket or any of the points down stream can be then either filtered at the master face place or bypassed to allow the router to be placed on any of them.

Running in series or radial is just a nightmare from a comms engineers point, it may seem easier but any faults along the line and all the sockets from that point go down. It also can cause problems with ADSL.

Iv spent may a time cursing a spark for terrible comms installations.

I used to run in cat5 for "futureproofing" but never needed it. Due to the amount of people with ordinary cheap and cheerful phone wire, new tech always allows for that.
Now, if you want to run cat5e/cat6 alongside your phone line for networking, that's a different matter...

both are good ways,but you should only have 3pairs terminated on the slave side of the main nte,because it gets a bit harder to term ie the pins get wider an wires start pinging out, so if it a lot of extns I would loop in out from box to box.

From recent experience more than 2 pairs and you have had it on an NTE 5

No issues using cat 5 as its far better than standard cheap phone cable tbh and it does give a few more options, also cat 5 can be used for both network and phone if its limited to 10mb as that only needs 2 pairs, always run as a star configuration as its better for broadband purposes, the master socket or any of the points down stream can be then either filtered at the master face place or bypassed to allow the router to be placed on any of them. .
are there limits on where a router in a house can be placed then? I didn't realise thisshould it be from the master socket usually then

are there limits on where a router in a house can be placed then? I didn't realise thisshould it be from the master socket usually then

Depends on the configuration of the NTE5 master socket if you use the latest filter arrangement the you can run filtered extensions for telephone and direct connection of the ADSL modem without any other filters in the system. BT install these filters when they install the BT infinity broadband

In theory you can place the router on any extension that's not pre filtered by the face plate, iv often had the main line and all the extensions terminate in a loft, send it down to the office or living room, install a filtered face plate their and send the filtered phone line back up the spare pair in the same cable and connect back to the rest of the sockets via a termination box in the loft,

however you need to take into account distance and noise is what limits ADSL, phone cables to close to mains can limit sync speeds massively.

Ideally you want it as close to the incoming as posable but with some pre planning there is no reason it can't be routed anywhere in the house.

Star point is always best even if you use more cable. Run cat 5 and then you can always swap out for a rj45 point if the phone socket is no longer needed.

Reply to How do you wire bt points in a rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net