Discuss How to bodge up a deliberate mistake in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came across this while doing remedial work

Attachments

• 8216AD4A-C762-426D-96E6-1DB3A265C828.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 134
  • AC469C84-7743-4571-B6C2-5B012C818D5D.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 133
but that 25mm? bit of tail is just linking 2 MCBs that have no L feed.

But it really begs the question "why?" as there are surprisingly few circuits for that size of CU and one wonderes what the 32A non-RCD feed with two cables was needed for.

But it really begs the question "why?" as there are surprisingly few circuits for that size of CU and one wonderes what the 32A non-RCD feed with two cables was needed for.
Assuming it's a house, and those two are a RFC I still think someone ran out of bus bar or cut it wrong and this was their hack. Either way plenty of questions, as why not just swap an unused breaker.....

UNLESS there is an earth fault on the RFC....
Also seem to be not enough neutrals conductors?

Last edited:
but that 25mm? bit of tail is just linking 2 MCBs that have no L feed.
No, it runs from the outgoing main switch L to the infeed of that B32.

My money is on a board change from a Wylex standard, sparky had stocked up on a few of those CUs when his wholesaler had them on a FGS-won't-somebody-buy-them offer, he didn't do any testing first, when he found that the RCD was tripping he hurriedly moved the neutrals, hacked the end off the busbar, bunged in that bit of tail and rode off home for tea.

UNLESS there is an earth fault on the RFC....
Roll up, roll up, place yer bets....

Also seem to be not enough neutrals conductors?
Looks that way. Must be a camera angle thing though?

fedora or kia-ora? mate of mine wore a steston , mind you, he was a bit of a cowboy.

The breaker fed via the double covered tail is not RCD protected.This will be a case of a fault on this circuit that kept tripping the RCD so the 'electrician' bodged the wiring so that the circuit stays on when he changed the consumer unit rather than fault find the circuit.

Reply to How to bodge up a deliberate mistake in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net