Discuss how to convert to digital output in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

izzul

hello friends,

i need some help.
Now I am a final year student at a university. I got a project, to me it is very difficult.

how can I convert the physical signal to digital signal?
for example, from flow of water, convert to voltage output.

Attachments

• giagram.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited by a moderator:
Either buy a readily available water level thing or if you have to make. then i would say how about a sliding potentioment connected to a ball c*ck?

A small dc generator driven by a pump plumbed into the flow pipe.Instead of a motor driving the pump, the flow of water can turn the pump and drive the generator.

Hi,

Some basic questions:

- What is the objective of the project?
- Is it a physical or theoretical project?
- What are the constraints of the project?

Considerations for the flow-meter are:

- What are your design constraints for the flow-meter, i.e, max and min flow rates to be measured. Resolution requirements of measurement, i.e. if max and min flow rate is 1m3 and 2 m3, and your flow meter is 0 to 10v output, with 0.1v resolution, then essentially 0.1v equates to 0.01m3 of flow...so if you get a reading from the flow meter of 3.4v, then the flow equates to 1.34m3.

Yooj

Hi,

Some basic questions:

- What is the objective of the project?
- Is it a physical or theoretical project?
- What are the constraints of the project?

Considerations for the flow-meter are:

- What are your design constraints for the flow-meter, i.e, max and min flow rates to be measured. Resolution requirements of measurement, i.e. if max and min flow rate is 1m3 and 2 m3, and your flow meter is 0 to 10v output, with 0.1v resolution, then essentially 0.1v equates to 0.01m3 of flow...so if you get a reading from the flow meter of 3.4v, then the flow equates to 1.34m3.

Yooj

the objective of this project:

1. get the digital output of the water meter
  2. to get the same value between water meter and digital meter. e.g. if the water meter give reading 1222 m3, the digital output also give the same value.
  3. maximum flow rates to be measure is 1000m3

what the suitable circuit or component will be used in this project.

hello friends,

i need some help.
Now I am a final year student at a university. I got a project, to me it is very difficult.

how can I convert the physical signal to digital signal?
for example, from flow of water, convert to voltage output.

Your a final year student at university and you are asking a question like this, what do they teach you as ADC and DAC are first year HNC work.

the objective of this project:

1. get the digital output of the water meter
  2. to get the same value between water meter and digital meter. e.g. if the water meter give reading 1222 m3, the digital output also give the same value.
  3. maximum flow rates to be measure is 1000m3

what the suitable circuit or component will be used in this project.

Izzul,

I am still not 100% sure what exactly your project brief is, can you please clarify, since the logical thing wwith limited information is to do as others have said and get a digital flow meter.

However, if your project is to design an A/D, which takes a signal from an analogue flow meter, say 0-10Vdc and then display this on a digital display with a resolution of 0-10Vdc representing 0 to 1000m3 of flow (instantaneous) then you need to identify this to us. Furthermore, in terms of flow, there is usually a time component, i.e. 'meters cubed per minute' for example, which makes the reading more meaningful in the real world.

Additionally, you have not identifed whether this project is theoretical or practical, i.e. is it just a paper based research project, or do you actually have to go out and purchase and/or design/build a suitable solution.

Yooj

Look here for a flow meter: Flowmeter with Digital Display and Analogue Output which has a 0-10vDC analogue output. (EDIT: Just spotted that this meter will not give you the range you want exactly...But I am sure this will give you something to go on)

Loook here for a suitable digital display: http://www.electrocontrols.co.uk/datasheets/D01.pdf which has a suitable selection to calibrate your 0-10vDC into a 0 - 999 range, which could be used for your 0 - 1000m3 flow range, with the assumption that the output from the flow meter is linear.

Yooj

Reply to how to convert to digital output in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net