Discuss I am desperate for the answer to My other Post - "Please" in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All,

I Apologise if this is NOT viewed as the correct way to behave on this Forum - BUT I am Desperate for the Answer to My Post entitled:

`How to wire Programmable Room Thermostat to Heating System without Zone Valves`

As it is VERY Long - To explain both My present Circumstances and My Request for Help - Could You Please find it on the Central Heating Section of the Forum - "Thanks".

I Hope that You will see from My explanation of my circumstances that this is Really Important to Me - I ask the Electrical Experts on this Forum to Help Me with EXACT details of How to achieve what I need to do regarding wiring the Boiler - Programmer - Programmable Room Thermostat & Pump - I need a Wire by Wire Instruction - "Please"

I really am `In Need of Help` with this - Otherwise I would not be able to Afford to Run My Heating this Winter - Because I have been Injured for some time I cannot Afford to get an Electrician to wire this - Or I would do so without hesitation - Please note that I am Trained and Registered - Defined Scope Heating - to carry out Wiring etc.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

i'm sure that given a day or 2, a member with the knowledge of heating systems to advise you, will be on line.

Hello alarm man,

I don`t know what You mean - I can assure You that EVERY WORD of what I wrote is the truth - I am asking how to wire a Programmable Room Thermostat to My Own Home`s Heating System - Which as I described was partially stripped out to replace the Boiler in a completely different position in My Home.

I have been Totally Disabled by the Back Injury - So I CANNOT Repipe the Zone Valve and Pump configuration in order to have a `S Plan` System [2 Zone Valves] - Which I DO know how to wire up - I would not explain about `Crawling about on My Stomach` to do the Flow and Return Pipework if it was not the truth - why would I want to Humiliate Myself ?

What I have asked for Information on - Wiring the System WITHOUT Zone Valves is something that I have NEVER seen as `Required` in 40 Years of Installing Heating Systems - It would NEVER be the Wiring / Control `Method of Choice` - Except perhaps for a Combi Boiler [?] - for either a Heating Engineer or the Householder / Client - Or for the Electrician who [Except for with Combi Boilers] would be wiring Systems with Zone Valves - Programmer - Room Thermostat - Cylinder Thermostat - Pump.

Could You let Me / Us know WHY You would assume that I was writing Lies ?

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello spinlondon",

Thanks for Your message - How did You know that alarm man`s retort was not aimed at Me ? - What did I miss regarding telectrix ?

If that is the case - alarm man - Please accept My Apology - I did think that You were doubting the Truth of my Circumstances as described in My Original Post - "Sorry" that I misunderstood that.

"Thanks Again spinlondon"

Chris

Last edited:
We do all have a bit of banter on here Chris, that's certainly how I read it ... it's just getting "to know" the folks on here, as much as you know anyone on a forum like this :D

alarm man, your 10 year old is probasbly better looking than i am , as well.

"Thanks topquark",

I realise about the Banter - and I would Welcome it - as these retorts appeals to My sense of Humour - I just can`t see how I should have known that alarm man`s remark was NOT addressed to Me - as there were no references to anyone else - Just the `Title` of My Post above his remark.

Anyway it is Good to know that it was not addressed to Me - I hope that He accepts My Apology - I don`t want to inadvertantly Annoy any of the Members on here.

Chris.

"Hello All",

I thought that You should know this - alarm man WAS directing His comment at Me [`10 Year old Daughter tells better Lies`] - He has Abused Me on the Other `Thread` - regarding the Wiring of the Programmable Room Thermostat - Calling Me a `Chancer` and stating that I am NOT a Heating Engineer and that I am NOT `Disabled` - and that I have probably taken on a Job that I could not handle.

ALL of this has been DECIDED by this Person after reading what I Wrote about My Circumstances - which I Wrote to Explain WHY I Needed Help.

I felt that I had to explain WHY My Heating System had to be Re-Piped as I had to do - I.E. without the Zone Valves - I had to explain WHY I could NOT carry out a COMPLETE Pipework configuration of the Zone Valves - Pump etc. - I could NOT do this because of My SEVERE Back Injury.

I explained that I was Trained and Registered for Wiring related to Heating Systems under the CORGI Defined Scope Scheme in order that the Electrical Professionals on here would feel that they WERE able to give Me advice on My Enquiry and that I was NOT a `DIYer` - As quite correctly People who have NOT received ANY Training and are NOT Registered to carry out Electrical Work should NOT be doing so - with the exception of changing Light Fittings - Switches - Socket Outlets etc.

Although I know that one will always come across People like `alarm man` on Forums I am VERY Surprised to note that He is a `Long Standing Member` - I wonder what other INSULTS He has written to others on here ?

Does He read Peoples Posts / Requests for Help and formulate a Fantasy Opinion of them from what they Write ? - In MY case Disbelieving EVERYTHING that I Wrote ! - And then ABUSING Me !

I thought that the Gentlemen on here should be told about His RIDICULOUS - INSULTING Comments.

"Thank You very much again topquark" - For Your Help with My Enquiry - I really appreciate Your Time and Expertise while corresponding with Me.

Chris

Hello All,

I Apologise if this is NOT viewed as the correct way to behave on this Forum - BUT I am Desperate for the Answer to My Post entitled:

`How to wire Programmable Room Thermostat to Heating System without Zone Valves`

As it is VERY Long - To explain both My present Circumstances and My Request for Help - Could You Please find it on the Central Heating Section of the Forum - "Thanks".

I Hope that You will see from My explanation of my circumstances that this is Really Important to Me - I ask the Electrical Experts on this Forum to Help Me with EXACT details of How to achieve what I need to do regarding wiring the Boiler - Programmer - Programmable Room Thermostat & Pump - I need a Wire by Wire Instruction - "Please"

I really am `In Need of Help` with this - Otherwise I would not be able to Afford to Run My Heating this Winter - Because I have been Injured for some time I cannot Afford to get an Electrician to wire this - Or I would do so without hesitation - Please note that I am Trained and Registered - Defined Scope Heating - to carry out Wiring etc.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Feed to Programmer, switch feed to thermostat, switch feed from programmer to boiler and pump. To be any more specific i would require more specifics. I assume no pump over run is required? Is there any hot water requirements?

Regards Chris

"Hello Chris",

Thank You for your Reply - The Heating System / Boiler Pipework has been reinstated after the Zone Valves and Pump etc. were stripped out because I was intending to connect the Flow - Return - Zone Valves and Pump to a New Boiler which I am Installing in a different position in My Home.

Just the Flow and Return and Pump have been reconnected to the Old Boiler - No Zone Valves so No Hot Water Zone / Pipework to the Cylinder and No Pump Over- Run because the Old Boiler is a Potterton Netaheat [24 Years Old] - which has a Cast Iron Heat Exchanger and the Original Wiring of the S Plan System - 2 Zone Valves was done in such a way that when there was NO Call for Heat from either Thermostat and both Zone Valves closed - both the Boiler and the Pump stopped.

Now with No Zone Valves just the Heating will be operating - and again when the Programmable Room Thermostat turns On & Off both the Boiler and Pump will Start & Stop.

I have based My Questions on adapting the Existing Wiring in the Easiest way possible, No point in complicating what will only be a Temporary wiring method - Just to give Me Temperature Control of the Boiler Firing - So as NOT to Cycle on the Boiler Thermostat - with the `Horrific Gas Bills` that this would produce in the Winter.

What I believe I have managed to work out with the Excellent Help of topquark is:

Disconnect the Switched Live from the Existing Programmer Backplate - This Switches On the Boiler and Pump at present.

It was recently wired like this to Heat and Circulate the System Cleanser and after Draining and Flushing that out - To Circulate the Corrosion Inhibitor.

Connect the Live TO the Programmable Room Thermostat TO the Switched Live Terminal on the Programmer Backplate - Where the Switched Live to the Boiler and Pump has been Disconnected from - Also at the Programmer `End` - Connect the Second Wire FROM The Programmable Room Thermostat TO the wire that goes TO the Boiler and Pump [Was Switched Live from Programmer]

At the Programmable Room Thermostat - Connect the Live [Switched Live from the Programmer] to the COM Terminal - And the Second wire to the NO Terminal - These Terminals are identified on the Programmable room Thermostat Wiring Diagram [Very Basic]

topquark did mention that this method would have some Drawbacks for Other Users - BUT I plan to have a Temperature Setting for ALL Time Periods - So when the Programmer Turns ON the Heating System the Programmable Room Thermostat WILL have a Temperature Setting for ANY Time Period that is Turned ON - Only IF the Temperature of My Home was Above the Setting on the Programmable Room Thermostat would the Heating System NOT Come ON - This is NOT likely to happen.

Sorry about the description - I can usually describe this type of thing more clearly.

Thank You again Chris for your interest - I welcome your comments.

Chris

"Hello Chris",

I am VERY Confident that what topquark very kindly Helped Me to Work Out regarding the Wiring of the Horstmann DRT2 Programmable Room Thermostat to My Home`s Heating System - which is presently without Zone Valves - is a correct method of achieving Temperature Control of the Boiler Firing and will eliminate Me having to run the Heating with only the Boiler Thermostat [Cycling On & Off !] to turn On & Off the Boiler.

Because I have remembered that the position where the cable from the Programmable Thermostat needs to exit the Floor is adjacent to a Washing Machine which I am going to need someone to move for Me [Back Problem] - I have Not done the Wiring as Yet - I have come to this section of the Forum to see If You had Replied with any Comments a couple of times in the last 2 Days.

Perhaps You have not had Time to read My Reply to You ?

Chris

Last edited:
"Hello archna",

Are You serious about `probasbly` ?

Whether it was typed by Me or someone else it is Obviously - probably

The `s` is next to the `a` on a Keyboard - I or whoever typed it just touched the `s`when typing the `a`.

I have not felt the need to go back and Review My Very Long Posts on this Subject to see If it was My Typing Error.

I look forward to seeing your Posts of an Electrical Nature.

Chris

Last edited:
It just "know" the people here, as you know such a person at the forum we have here a little banter, Wedding Cufflinks Chris, of course, how I read it. d it.

"Hello yingxuy",

Could You Please explain what You mean by the comments in your Post - I cannot understand what You are referring to.

Also WHY would You put a Link into your Post - Re. Cufflinks ??

Perhaps I am not experienced enough regarding Forums - To realise IF / When a Post is NOT relevant to anything that I have been Writing about ??

I look forward to Your Reply.

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to I am desperate for the answer to My other Post - "Please" in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net