Discuss I have an old reddifusion switch on a wall which i want to remove but its still live..can anyone advise please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

very much doubt it's live. Rediffusion ceased trading 30 odd years ago.

Those light up testers cannot be trusted to prove something is dead, though showing live does suggest extreme care is needed. Equally they can light up with capacitive coupling, hence the view they are useless!

There are the sort of tools that should be used for voltage testing, simple and much less chance of life-threatening mistakes that you can make with a multimeter:
[automerge]1586785797[/automerge]
Obvious question about still being live is have you powered down the various circuits that are likely to feed it first? That could be the 13A ring (maybe from the floor the boiler was originally fitted to, not the floor where the control was) as many heating systems would just be taken from that, but sometimes it would be from a dedicated feed.

Also never rule out the stupid "WTF?" sort of ideas like someone having taken it from a lighting circuit in the past for whatever brain-dead effort-avoiding reasons.

Obvious question about still being live is have you powered down the various circuits that are likely to feed it first?
What circuits feeding it? Reddifusion was a cable system providing TV and radio signals to streets of houses over twisted pair cables.

Unless someone has re-purposed a reddifusion branded enclosure for something else. A photo would be useful.

What circuits feeding it? Reddifusion was a cable system providing TV and radio signals to streets of houses over twisted pair cables.

Unless someone has re-purposed a reddifusion branded enclosure for something else. A photo would be useful.
2 photos....1st is to show how far away from corner of room

Attachments

• 20200413_155924.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 65
Nice! The service went offline years ago, so just chop the wires and fill the hole. Any chance of a photo of the front of the plate? Reddifusion was only really available in Exeter here so don't often get to see the fittings now most have gone, that plate looks quite modern compared to the few I've seen.

Nice! The service went offline years ago, so just chop the wires and fill the hole. Any chance of a photo of the front of the plate? Reddifusion was only really available in Exeter here so don't often get to see the fittings now most have gone, that plate looks quite modern compared to the few I've seen.
I live in Leicester and my mum and dad had one back in the 1980's

Attachments

• 20200413_163647.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 40
Yes , 1984 on the pic.
Some of the old terraced properties still have the cables on the outside walls up here , even the junction boxes.

Reply to I have an old reddifusion switch on a wall which i want to remove but its still live..can anyone advise please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net