Discuss I need a cordless SDS hammer, any tips? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hillbillie

I have several Dewalt 18v Li-ion battery tools so it would be cost effective to get an 18v Dewalt SDS drill. However, are they any good?

I need to be able to drill into brick and stone and am a bit concerned that they won't be up to the task. I bought the most powerful combi I could get last year but this still falls short with brick and stone.

Advice please.

I have several Dewalt 18v Li-ion battery tools so it would be cost effective to get an 18v Dewalt SDS drill. However, are they any good?

I need to be able to drill into brick and stone and am a bit concerned that they won't be up to the task. I bought the most powerful combi I could get last year but this still falls short with brick and stone.

Advice please.

the dewalt sds is not bad, if you have the batteries go for it, if i was buying again i would go for a bosch 36v though, they last forever and batteries are cheap

Love my bosh 36 compact. Fist used before my first SDS. Was used to using tools from others (first starting apprenticeship) using 24v picked up 36v and seemed so quick. Had to get it. Full 36 seems good but pref compact as does all i need (would use a 110v for chopping if needed) and is light enough for easy use even with drilling ceilings. But if u have battery for dewalt then...

I bought a hitachi 2.3Kg, no rotostop but I have a mains 6Kg for that....
Wicked up a ladder (easily usable with one hand and drills holes rather than smashing them...unlike the 6Kg) and cost me about £170 for the drill, case, charger and a 3Ah battery....

Damn! its a drill you are on about ... going by the header I was interested to see what a cordless sds hammer was?

18v is fine in sds not combi, batteries don't last long if drilling lots of 20 mm holes .. But you might someday a and you won't for ages...

Hilti all the way. I use the te6A (no rotation stop) and use a mains drill for chiseling so as not to cover my hilti in crap. Once you have used a Hilti you won't want to use anything else.
Interested to discover that the new Bosch 18v coolpack drill has been drop tested to 3m - £150 from screwfix with 4ah Li-ion battery

Boch 36v SDS for me. As good as a corded drill imo. I don't get my corded drill out that much in comparison to 36v. Never let me down.

Had my Bosch 24v sds and 14 volt drill driver combo for years.. one of the best investments I made over countless different drills I had tried like Makita/Dewalt. Done a few exhibitions and been near the HILTI stand... good stuff but a bit pricey!

I had a Bosch 36 vfli used every day for 4 years until I dropped it off a pair of steps .no worky now.
shame cos it was great.
replaced it with a metabo 28 v which I think is just as good and somewhat lighter.
also cheaper

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.

I'd love a 36v Bosch but they cost a bit more than I had hoped to pay, I want it to drill holes, not chase, so I reckon I could get away with something cheaper.

I have the Bosch 18v SDS and it's very lightweight and good for holes up to about 16mm in concrete

Bit cheaper than the 36v if budgets your issue, pretty much does me for everything but heavy weight holes through concrete, I use my 4kg 110v for that

Most of my power tools are bosch now I think they are excellent

Uses to be dewalt but I think they are pants nowadays

If it's only lighting drilling your looking for then I suggest...........

www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-505161

About £300 if I remember rightly with 2x 3.3 batts or about £210 with 1x1.6

Or for about £380 you have

https://www.hilti.co.uk/holuk/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-339743

I like my Bosch stuff but I'd always go for hilti, the 2 year no cost warranty is worth it's weight in gold, even means they will service it for you for nowt!

Last edited:

Reply to I need a cordless SDS hammer, any tips? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net