Discuss Idiot Plumber, wired stats in 2core. Options Please!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

ling9403

Before everyone starts thinking its me thats done this, it isnt the case!

I have recently wired an extension, all is fine. The plumbers came to install the Air source heating system (Pump and Boiler) The client had told me what his requirements were, they did not include wiring the heating system. due to the ammount the plumber charged, it was assumed by him it was a complete start to finish price.
Not the case! He then said that he would not be wiring it, and it was down to the client to get it sorted. I then added the price to my exisitng work. Happy days!

On closer inspection, the plumbers lads had wired 2 stats , interior and exterior. Not marked which was which, but that pales into insignificance when i realised they had wired them in 2 core 1mm2.

I havnt been able to get hold of the `chief plumber` yet, but Im guessing he isnt goin to say "ye, there new stats, and dont require a permanent live".

So if im wrong please correct me, ive not had any dealing with air source before.

My main question is, is there any alternative to ripping out the 2 core, and replacing with 3 core, as the wall are now plaseterd/ skimmed/ painted.

E.g Wireless systems? I know there are a few about but is there compatability issues?

Any help would be greatfull. Cowboy plumbers, Newcastle Emlyn west wales. I have their details if required!

thanks.

Are the stats using line voltage or low voltage? If the cable is buried in a wall and has no cpc to protect it, a nail in the wall could then be energised presenting an obvious danger (if line level) . Less likely with a cpc present. If it's unsafe wireless systems aren't too expensive.

some 240v roomstats do not require a neutral,so 2 core + earth is ok,brown sleeving as usual on blue,it is only common(240v) and call for heat(240v return to switch live for boiler),so if you check the roomstats and they require a neutral then cheapest option would be to replace for ones that do not need one,wireless roomstats are about £40-60 each(honeywell),let us all know how u get on goodluck.

Reply to Idiot Plumber, wired stats in 2core. Options Please!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net