Discuss Immersion element question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stan794

Hi, i have just finished rewiring a garage for a customer who runs a cleaning business. On the last day he asked me to wire up an immersion heater that is fitted to a wash tank in his van, he plans to just plug it in for an hour each morning so he has warm water for the days work. Is the plug ok in this instance as he needs to be mobile.

The best way to do this would be to use a commando connector (think that's the right name) as per used on mobile caravans.

Watch what you are doing here as this heath robertson built tank sounds good but if it is set up this guy is going to take a lead with him and ask his custmer if he can plug it it then you have a big portable appliance that is not certified

Watch what you are doing here as this heath robertson built tank sounds good but if it is set up this guy is going to take a lead with him and ask his custmer if he can plug it it then you have a big portable appliance that is not certified

You are quite correct, what I should have added is fit the socket for the commando in his garage then somebody else will be responsible for his "kettle on wheels"

Thanks chaps, he sounds a brave man, before this he had steel tank that was heated with a LPG burner, would not like to crash into him.:death:

commando in his garage/shed...ok.....thing is though i would reckon it would be better on a plugtop for when he`s goin round......that plugtop`s fused....who knows the state of install where he may plug it in...disconnection times?...Bs3036s=nails/foil/bits of CPC......

Maybe in this case it should have an RCD plugtop. That way, if a fault occurs on his immersion heater then regardless of the supply he connects to, he will have protection.
I take it there are no rules about transporting scalding water in a large vessel?

I take it there are no rules about transporting scalding water in a large vessel?

I would think a 16A commando plug top, with an Inline RCD. Likewise, I would be interested in what his insurance company say about carrying around volumes of hot liquid.

Rich

Reply to Immersion element question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net