Discuss Immersion thermostat with separate cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Have just got back from a call out, where the clients' immersion had stopped working. The problem is the separate thermal safety cutout has failed open circuit, and cannot be reset. It is very similar to the setup in this youtube vid:

I would like to replace the thermostat with one with an integral safety cutout, and bypass the faulty separate cutout. I can't think of any reason why there might be a problem doing this, but I wanted to check with you guys and girls before I get stuck in.

Anyone know of any problem with this?

TIA

Is it a Backer by any chance? As it happens I had one of these recently too - though someone had put a 'dual' thermostat in and not bypassed the safety circuit - which had failed...

You can actually get the replacement cutouts here if it's a Backer.

They make two types to meet the standard - one with the cutout button separately and one with it in the thermostat...

Since the thermostats that were in place were old and cheap in my case, I ordered the correct replacements just to match what was there originally...

Whichever way you do it, the outcome in either case is the same - main thermostat backed up with a backup one that will isolate the immersion before the water can go above 85 Degrees...

Is it a Backer by any chance? As it happens I had one of these recently too - though someone had put a 'dual' thermostat in and not bypassed the safety circuit - which had failed...

You can actually get the replacement cutouts here if it's a Backer.

They make two types to meet the standard - one with the cutout button separately and one with it in the thermostat...

Since the thermostats that were in place were old and cheap in my case, I ordered the correct replacements just to match what was there originally...

Whichever way you do it, the outcome in either case is the same - main thermostat backed up with a backup one that will isolate the immersion before the water can go above 85 Degrees...
No, not a Backer. The thermostat is a Shel, so presumably the cutout is too. Can the cutouts be changed without draining the cylinder?

I have picked up a tesla replacement from screwfix, which hopefully should fit

An update in case anyone else comes across similar:

I tried the Tesla replacement thermostat, and it didn't fit at all - it had a very different shaped head to the original Shel one. I then tried removing the separate cut-out, with the intent of replacing that instead. It was held in place by nuts and a couple of small studs protruding from the base of the immersion heater. Anyway, one of the studs broke in the process, so that was that idea out of the window.

3rd time lucky, I got a Sunvic VKL 2351 with integral cut-out which has a very similar sized head to the Shel one, and fitted perfectly. Customer very happy!

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to Immersion thermostat with separate cutout in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net