Discuss Insulation Resistance Test For Minor Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Hi guys,

Fairly recently qualified sparky here starting to do small solo jobs. I'm interested in views on insulation resistance testing on works to be signed off with a Minor Works Certificate. (Sorry this is a long post but I wanted to cover everything.)

One view on this is that you only test the work you've done - if you add a spur or new light, you just IR test your own new wiring before wiring it into the installation (probably with the CPC wired in). But say you want to be thorough. Or say all you've done is replaced a broken socket or light fitting - if you're going to meaningfully IR test at all, you have to test the existing wiring.

I guess that whatever testing you're going to do, it's main DB switched off (separates E & N if TN) and the fuse pulled/MCB off for the circuit in question.

If it's lighting, then with all bulbs out of the light fitting you have worked on and the relevant light switch off you can test L-N and L-E at the fitting assuming there's no transformer involved. But testing E-N is problematic because the test voltage will go E-N throughout the whole installation (risk of blowing up electronics? unless test at 250V). PLUS any connected equipment anywhere in the installation (bound to be some) may pass the test voltage from N up to L on that circuit (and if circuit not isolated, through MCB/fuse to DB busbar and thus L on the whole installation). So, nonsense reading plus risk of damage.

With the relevant light switch on, or if it's a socket ring/radial or whatever, then now you're testing the whole circuit. Obviously the E-N testing problem above is the same and unchanged. But if there is connected equipment on the circuit under test then there's now damage risk from any test involving L (unless test at 250V, or test (L+N)-E - but see below). PLUS the L-N test is impossible with the connected equipment. PLUS the L-E test will cause test voltage to be passed from L through the connected equipment to N and now you've got test voltage going across E-N throughout the whole installation again.

Some people suggest the magic cure-all answer is to test (L+N) combined to E. Yes this potentially helps with any connected equipment on the circuit under test. BUT as you are still putting test voltage E-N you still cannot avoid the problem of the test voltage going across E & N through the installation, and so on as per above.

**** So is the answer in fact to NOT isolate the circuit under test at the MCB/fuse, and always just test (L+N) combined to E on the whole installation?!? ****

(I'm conscious the reality is that on a low-cost minor works job you're not going to want to waste time running round disconnecting absolutely all appliances, taking all bulbs out of everything. Often it will be totally impractical anyway. I know that in a correct design all equipment should be isolatable, but sometimes it just ain't so. And the last thing you want is to blow up something expensive on a job you only stood to make a few tens of quids out of anyway.)

So it all seems to be a bit of a can of worms (mix of harmonised and non-harmonised ones no doubt). I'd be really grateful for people's views especially as I have a competent person scheme assessment coming up. Cheers, Nick.

you IR test the circuit that you have altered, not just your new bit. you don't need to test the other circuits, but if the price allows for it, it's a good idea to do a few tests for peace of mind.

if you can't dis. all loads, then you need to IR test L/N shorted together to E. test first at 250V.

Which puts test voltage E-N across the entire installation (maybe damaging stuff), and hence potentially up to L through connected equipment elsewhere in the installation (damaging more stuff)? Unless you disconnect N for the circuit at the DB? or leave the fuse in/MCB close and (L+N)-E test the entire installation?

To test for a MWC, disconnect the N and L from the CU and do a full IR test. If there are downlights etc you can do a L&N to E but you still need to disconnect them from the CU

If you are testing the circuit then you switch off the consumer unit remove the cables for the circuit on which you have worked.

If it is a simple circuit and you can easily remove / disconnect /link out all loads, problem equipment, etc. then do so.
Then you can do the full range L-N, L-E, N-E and record the results.

If it is complex and you have only made a minor change then connect together the L+N and (initially test at 250V to see if there is anything that may cause a problem) test the L+N vs E at 500V if the result is OK then record that and carry on.

Applying a voltage from L+N to E will not cause damage to equipment because the earth is not connected to anything (unless the there are power supplies, surge protectors etc.) that would complete a circuit (unless there is a fault, which is what you are testing for!). Because the L+N are connected together you will not put 500V across any equipment because there will be no potential difference.

So you're saying in practice people are avoiding the tale of potential woe I have described by disconnecting N at the DB? Even when there has been no other reason to open up the DB and mess with it?

Hi,

If you read Tel's post again, I think it should be very clear what you need to do. If you have a test coming up soon you should already know the answer to the question you posted, it ain't rocket science.

Regards.

Clive: none of it is rocket science really, I just think I'm missing something. Looks like what I'm missing is that everyone else is opening up the DB and disconnecting the live conductors for the circuit purely to do IR testing. Which kinda surprises me on a small MWC job but if that's what you have to do it's what you have to do.

Clive: none of it is rocket science really, I just think I'm missing something. Looks like what I'm missing is that everyone else is opening up the DB and disconnecting the live conductors for the circuit purely to do IR testing. Which kinda surprises me on a small MWC job but if that's what you have to do it's what you have to do.

Correct. Unless you take the cover off the CU and disconnect the L & N you won't get an accurate reading.

Which puts test voltage E-N across the entire installation (maybe damaging stuff), and hence potentially up to L through connected equipment elsewhere in the installation (damaging more stuff)? Unless you disconnect N for the circuit at the DB? or leave the fuse in/MCB close and (L+N)-E test the entire installation?

i think it mentions it in the onsite guide.

you link l+n together and test to e

(l+n to e)

for transformers e.g. selv+pelv circuits like lighting in bathrooms.

it should be perfectly safe to do this at 250v

Reply to Insulation Resistance Test For Minor Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net