Discuss Int alarm sounds on power failure. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me why my intruder alarm external siren keeps sounding when I turn the power off in my house? Surely this shouldn't happen ? Cheers.

The bell box has a back up battery and depending on how the system is programmed it will sound to alert you that someone may have cut your power to bypass the alarm from sounding. That's the basics of the problem, Alarmman will be able to tell you anything you need to know, he knows everything about alarms.

Cheers mate. I'm thinking if the power was cut the back up battery in the internal control panel would click in. Perhaps it is this battery which is done/flat? How do I get in contact with alarmman?

Cheers mate. I'm thinking if the power was cut the back up battery in the internal control panel would click in. Perhaps it is this battery which is done/flat? How do I get in contact with alarmman?
Here is his forum home page so you can send him a pm View Profile: alarm man - Electricians Forum | Electrical Advice Forum | An electrical forum for electricians in the UK | Electricians Forum. BTW there are loads of other members that can help you but I always think of Alarmman first, he has helped me in the past.

almost guarantee it's either battery or the battery fuse in the panel. check volts on battery connectors with and without the battery connected.

As telectrix says.The batteries dont last for ever and need replacing now and then.

if the battery voltage (with it disconnected) is less than 12.6v, of if it is at all lumpy, chuck it.

The backup batteries generally last between 3-5 years however I know of one 12 years old and still going strong. As others have said, check the voltage on the battery leads to ensure there is a voltage there (usuallaround 12-13v).
If there is a voltage there, change the backup battery for a new one. if there is no voltage at the leads, either the battery fuse has gone or the charging circuit is fubar. What make panel is it?

Reply to Int alarm sounds on power failure. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net