Discuss Intermediate switch to fixed always on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have purchased a number of expensive copper dowsing&reynolds light switches which have been fitted by an electrician as part of a refurb project.

I am not proposing to do this myself, but as previous advice on the forum has been very useful, so would like to know if this is possible before contacting an electrician.

Three of the switches are 2 gang intermediate switches (actually they are combinations with one two way switch and one intermediate switch), and this range only has 1 gang intermediate switches.

I can see various possibilities such as installing new switch and have two one gang switches side by side instead of one two gang. Also perhaps for these three using paintable 2 gang intermediate switches or 2 gang power grids.

What I am wondering however is whether it is possible to use a matching D&R two gang two way switch and somehow wire (or not wire - use connections not the switch) the intermediate switch so that it is always on? The reason for this is that the switch is never used. We have Philips Hue lamps on all 3 levels of the house in the halls and landings with motion sensors, so the switches are left always on. Additionally there would be at least one switch for each floor which is currently two way - so could be switched off if needed. Additionally we have Philips Hue dimmer switches at each end of the halls, so those can be used to switch on and off. So functionally the intermediate switch is not used.

The reason I ask is that I suspect this is a big no - so kindly accept the request as an inquiry into whether it is possible, how it might be achieved, and whether it is permitted.

Happy to clarify the situation, as above may not be clear.

Last edited:
It's perfectly possible to bypass the intermediate switch and connect the wires through with wago connectors in back box. You could then fit a single gang switch or keep the 2 gang and just have 1 ineffective switch.

I have purchased a number of expensive copper dowsing&reynolds light switches which have been fitted by an electrician as part of a refurb project.

I am not proposing to do this myself, but as previous advice on the forum has been very useful, so would like to know if this is possible before contacting an electrician.

Three of the switches are 2 gang intermediate switches (actually they are combinations with one two way switch and one intermediate switch), and this range only has 1 gang intermediate switches.

I can see various possibilities such as installing new switch and have two one gang switches side by side instead of one two gang. Also perhaps for these three using paintable 2 gang intermediate switches or 2 gang power grids.

What I am wondering however is whether it is possible to use a matching D&R two gang two way switch and somehow wire (or not wire - use connections not the switch) the intermediate switch so that it is always on? The reason for this is that the switch is never used. We have Philips Hue bulbs on all 3 levels of the house in the halls and landings with motion sensors, so the switches are left always on. Additionally there would be at least one switch for each floor which is currently two way - so could be switched off if needed. Additionally we have Philips Hue dimmer switches at each end of the halls, so those can be used to switch on and off. So functionally the intermediate switch is not used.

The reason I ask is that I suspect this is a big no - so kindly accept the request as an inquiry into whether it is possible, how it might be achieved, and whether it is permitted.

Happy to clarify the situation, as above may not be clear.
If the intermediate switches are not needed or used just use a two way system.

It's perfectly possible to bypass the intermediate switch and connect the wires through with wago connectors in back box. You could then fit a single gang switch or keep the 2 gang and just have 1 ineffective switch.
Great and thanks. Would it be a question of simply connecting the two L1's and the two L2s?

I contacted D & R to ask whether they did a 2 gang square switch plate with two intermediate modules - and they do. I will PM you the email dialogue.

This means you could keep the wiring of the original 2 way - IM - 2 way conventionally arranged (-a good thing) and then replace one of the 2 ways by the dimmer.

To have sole on/off control from a dimmer one replaces one of the 2 ways with it - you insert the two wires going to L1 and L2 of the two way into L1 of the dimmer and the wire to C (for Common) of the 2 way into C of the dimmer. Now the other 2 way and the IM have no switching control.

[automerge]1581868130[/automerge]
If the dimmer is in addition to 2W - IM -2W, and you want the dimmer to have sole functional control then simply put the L1 and L2 wires of one of the 2W into its common.

Last edited:

Reply to Intermediate switch to fixed always on in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net