Discuss IR test between neutral and earth in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

arturas

Hi there,another question from me,I have a 10mm radial for oven&hob,so doing IR test It shows me 0.22 between neutral and earth,so I went to investigation what could cause a problem,there is a 60amp JB for that circuit above the hanging cupboards in the kitchen,so first thing I did,disconnected the junction box,now testing from CU to JB point it shows >999 , testing after JB to isolator and 2 connection points it shows >999. As soon as you connect them together it shows 0.22, then I left JB connected and disconnected the isolator, now from CU to isolator >999 after isolator to connection points >999. Now I have checked incoming neutral from CU and outgoing earth which goes to connection points and that's where it shows me 0.22. I did 250v doing with higher voltage tester sends maximum 288v.LE and LN are >999 all the way. So I was thinking what could cause it,any ideas?R1+R2 is 0.12.all test was done with circuit disconnected from CU.maybe anyone came across with something similar?

There is one in isolator ,but when I'm disconnecting the incoming neutral from isolator and outgoing earth from isolator it still gives me a reading of 0.22 between disconnected wires,so its outgoing neutral and earth is >999 incoming neutral and earth is >999 only outgoing earth an incoming neutral shows me 0.22

Is that possible that someone screw the incoming cable hiting only neutral and wall,and because of that I'm getting a good result between NE when cable is disconnected because incoming cable E and N is otherwise in good condition,but my outgoing E is connected as well to a backbox which is bonded in the wall,and that's why, Im getting good result on outgoing cable because it's not damage anywhere but a bad result between incoming N and outgoing E once I'm connecting the cables together?if you can understand what I'm trying to say :)

i think i see what you mean. try disconnecting the cpc at the outlet, and see if the low reading disappears. was a thread here a week or so ago where similar problems were caused by a 6" screw fixing a bog, penetrating a shower cable.

So as above ,have disconnected the cpcs of isolator and connection units backboxes,reading went up to 250mohms,tried it with a backbox still 0.22 , tooked one screw out of a skirting 80mm screw,where cables goes up,reading went up to 0.50 , so presume that may be the place where I should look into :)

Yep that was my problem,drilled straight through and wall plug inserted and then screw:) Is there anything else for joining 10mm cable?apart from 10mm crimps and heat shrink? Can't Do JB because there's no chance to make it accessible

crimps and heat shrink is best way to go. or solder and heat shrink is an alternative, but i prefer crimps. use a 4/6mm crimp on cpc., of course.

Last edited:

Reply to IR test between neutral and earth in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net