Discuss Is the electric in my garage hooked up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RT1187

DIY
Reaction score
Bought a house a few months ago and would like to have access to electrical outlets in the garage. There is already an electric cable running to it and has wires running to an outlet and a light fixture (which is no longer there, just the hanging wire).

Looking in the electric cupboard I can't see anything labeled garage, so is it hooked up and just not switched on or does it pre-date this electrical panel and has just never been connected to it?

I know I will need an electrician to come and look at it, but would be nice to know what size job it is going to be to get power in the garage up and running.

Cable inside garage:

Garage outlet:

Garage junction box:

Cable into garage:

Cable out of house:

Electrical cupboard:

Panel 1:

Panel 2:

Whether there’s power or not, a hanging bare cable needs attended to before power is restored.
If the cable feeding the garage is good, then an electrician should be able to get it going with little cost.

It looks like there was intention to insert photos. Another try would be worth it!
Oops, sorry, not sure why they didn't post.

Cable inside garage:

51828390323_1fdae8f50e_b.jpg

Garage outlet:

51828390348_b409bec491_b.jpg

Garage junction box:

51829004090_a3417f8efb_b.jpg

Cable into garage:

51827333217_a17a7fb915_b.jpg

Cable out of house:

51828391133_9f74cd051a_b.jpg

Electrical cupboard:

51828280661_9a1ddb771a_b.jpg

Panel 1:

51829004365_b053d4b31a_b.jpg

Panel 2:

51829004355_0f65fcc7b8_b.jpg

Whether there’s power or not, a hanging bare cable needs attended to before power is restored.
If the cable feeding the garage is good, then an electrician should be able to get it going with little cost.

Thanks! Yes sorry, I know not to power up a hanging cable, my question was more about the cable running from the house to the garage and whether it's usable at all. Makes more sense now the photos are up.

I wouldn't trust that cable to run a doorbell push button safely and trouble free, let alone connect it to a mains supply.
Also, i don't think the rest of the garage electrics are going to be worth trying to salvage.

Yes, agreed those cables look well past their usable date.

Realistically you need to get a quote or two from some electricians for putting in a new supply feed and the related sockets and lights. As this is a new circuit is falls under Part P of the building regulations in England and Wales so it is notifiable work, so best to get an electrician who is a member of ones of the competent person schemas such as NICEIC, etc, as they can certify the work without additional expense.

You need to consider what you actually want to do with the garage as well. For example, if all you want is the occasional use of a socket and some lights, then you could have that from a 20A supply and modest sized feed cable.

If you want to do more, or want to have anything else such as network cable installed at the same time you should make that clear, as in that case it would be better to put in some twinwall duct between the house and garage instead of just burying a run of armoured cable.

Finally take note that those roof panels look like the cement & asbestos sort. They are "safe enough" if you don't disturb them, but do not drill or saw them under any circumstances unless you have them professionally checked to make sure they are not asbestos containing!

Thanks all, I kind of figured this was the case but thought I'd check anyway, I'll think about getting a quote to rip out the old and start over.

Yes, agreed those cables look well past their usable date.

Realistically you need to get a quote or two from some electricians for putting in a new supply feed and the related sockets and lights. As this is a new circuit is falls under Part P of the building regulations in England and Wales so it is notifiable work, so best to get an electrician who is a member of ones of the competent person schemas such as NICEIC, etc, as they can certify the work without additional expense.

You need to consider what you actually want to do with the garage as well. For example, if all you want is the occasional use of a socket and some lights, then you could have that from a 20A supply and modest sized feed cable.

If you want to do more, or want to have anything else such as network cable installed at the same time you should make that clear, as in that case it would be better to put in some twinwall duct between the house and garage instead of just burying a run of armoured cable.

Finally take note that those roof panels look like the cement & asbestos sort. They are "safe enough" if you don't disturb them, but do not drill or saw them under any circumstances unless you have them professionally checked to make sure they are not asbestos containing!

I'll get some quotes, it's not something we need desperately but would be nice. My wife uses the garage for her bike trainer in winter when it's too wet/cold to go for her long ride, we use a 20m extension reel from the house for that to power her trainer, laptop and fan.

In future I would like to use it for home brewing too, so it would be nice to have a few outlets dotted around. I'll need to speak to an electrician at that point anyway as I know regular outlets won't hold up when I'm plugging in a 5KW kettle element.

I'm aware of the asbestos, it was flagged in our building survey and then tested and confirmed before we purchased. They said the same, leave it alone and it's fine. Will be removed at some point in the future but not a priority.

Thanks all, I kind of figured this was the case but thought I'd check anyway, I'll think about getting a quote to rip out the old and start over.

I'll get some quotes, it's not something we need desperately but would be nice. My wife uses the garage for her bike trainer in winter when it's too wet/cold to go for her long ride, we use a 20m extension reel from the house for that to power her trainer, laptop and fan.

In future I would like to use it for home brewing too, so it would be nice to have a few outlets dotted around. I'll need to speak to an electrician at that point anyway as I know regular outlets won't hold up when I'm plugging in a 5KW kettle element.

I'm aware of the asbestos, it was flagged in our building survey and then tested and confirmed before we purchased. They said the same, leave it alone and it's fine. Will be removed at some point in the future but not a priority.
a good bet would be to call a respected member in Leeds. that's Glennsparks. he will give you an honest appraisal and a way forward without ripping you off. can pm you a contact number if you want.

Looking at you UC it seems that some of your sockets are on a RCBO (i.e. with some shock protection) but the kitchen ones are not, so make sure the extension is plugged in to one of the RCD protected ones, or use an extension lead with a RCD plug.
Sounds like you should be looking at something like a 32A feed then.

As @telectrix suggested you could see if someone on the forum locally can help, he suggested @GLENNSPARK who is well known here.
Depending on cost and effort, a false ceiling of plasterboard might be simpler. But having the lot professionally removed and replaced would be the best long term plan and also ought to add value to the property as a whole.

a good bet would be to call a respected member in Leeds. that's Glennsparks. he will give you an honest appraisal and a way forward without ripping you off. can pm you a contact number if you want.

Thanks, that'd be great. As said I'm not planning on making any major changes to the garage for a while, there are more important things to sort out with the house first, but will be good to have for future.
Looking at you UC it seems that some of your sockets are on a RCBO (i.e. with some shock protection) but the kitchen ones are not, so make sure the extension is plugged in to one of the RCD protected ones, or use an extension lead with a RCD plug.

That's good to know, thanks. How can I tell which is which? We usually plug the extension into the socket on the cooker switch as I assume that is the safest socket in the kitchen, although looking at it now I'm not sure if it is fused or not. The kettle is usually plugged into that socket.

That's good to know, thanks. How can I tell which is which? We usually plug the extension into the socket on the cooker switch as I assume that is the safest socket in the kitchen, although looking at it now I'm not sure if it is fused or not. The kettle is usually plugged into that socket.
Cooker is not on RCD. The only one in the main CU (consumer unit = fuse box = distribution board) is the one marked "house sockets" that appears to be on a RCBO (combined over-current protection of a MCB, and shock/leackage protection of a RCD).

You can get extension leads with RCD sockets such as these which can be used on any socket (with or without the additional RCD protection at the CU):

Alternatively you can get RCD adaptors for an existing extension lead such as this:

Ideally you would have the other house sockets (kitchens set, cooker) upgraded to RCD protection to avoid the necessity of the above, and that might be a relatively easy job for an electrician if suitable RCBO are still available for that model of CU. When you get someone in to look they can also quote you for that independently of the quote for garage supply, though generally it is quicker and easier to get it all done at once.

Couple of observations from your external house cable pic:
1. Some muppet has used the air brick to run a cable to the inside of the building hence bridging the cavity.
2. DPC cavity tray is not obvious, hence suspicion the DPC has been bridged by re-pointing the external brickwork.
3. No weep holes evident to drain the cavity wall, assumed cavity wall as the wall is in stretcher bond so therefore a 100mm skin.

Was any of this mentioned on your survey?

Reply to Is the electric in my garage hooked up? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net