Discuss Is this single phase as well as 3 phase and what is it's power rating? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

A friend/customer has just asked if I could connect up this commercial washing machine down at his domestic stables. He has had it in his house for 10 years. Recently it has started tripping the B40 MCB. It does not trip immediately so I don't think it is the inrush, plus it did not trip the MCB for many years.

Having never worked with 3 phase machines I am unsure of what the diagrams mean in the photo below labelled 'spec'. On the right of the rating plate It shows the N L1 L2 L3 terminals and then what looks like 3 different options. I.e 220 - 240V, 3 x 220-240V, 3 x 380-400V.

My questions are :

1. can this machine be run on single phase, if so are the connections just to N and L1 or would there need to be a link from L1 to L2 and L3?

2. What is 3 x 220-240V? Is this 3 different line conductors at the stated voltage?

3. On the left of the rating plate it says 3 - 5 x 20mm. What is this referring to?

4. On the left of the rating plate it says 100A 250V with a symbol before it that is like an h but with a horizontal bit on the top of the h. What is this symbol and is this the rated current?

I have added another picture showing the model number in case this helps.

spec.jpg model.jpg

Cheers all :)

It's either 3ph (N and L1 L2 L3 )
Or it's single phase (N and L1 with L1 L2 L3 linked)

The screws are 3 of 5mm x 20mm for that access panel to the connections a shown in the picture.

Looks like it's got a twin and earth connected to it, so has been running on single phase

Can't find a manual yet but according to this it's 32amp single phase load.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ipso-JLA-HW131-a-Commercial-industrial-Washing-Machine-/154112526434

Caution, there may be 2 models
If it's a 6kw model it's 32amp
If it's a 9kw model it's 45amp.

Last edited:
That's great, thanks all for the replies.

Just the 100A 250V left to go :)

I've just realised that there is a blemish running vertically down through the bottom left. I think it actually says IR 100A 250V. Is this a fuse size or some sort of max rating as you have with RCD's?

Re: 3. On the left of the rating plate it says 3 - 5 x 20mm. What is this referring to?

5 x 20 mm are the physical dimensions of a fuse.

3A is its rating.

100A 250V refers to its Interrupt Rating(IR) at 250V in this case 100A. IR is sometimes called 'Breaking Capacity'. For a particular supply voltage, the IR current value is the maximum amount of instantaneous current that can be interrupted safely without explosion or damage to the fuse link carrier, such as the cartridge or tube.

To save me time you can see that there are classes of fuses each with different Isquared against Time characteristics:

https://www.rapidonline.com/Catalogue/Search?Query=fuses&Size=20&Tier=20mm Fuses

So, should you need to replace a fuse you would need to know which class to buy. The details ought to be on the fuse.

Have you clamped the supply to measure the current drawn by the machine at different stages of its cycle? Most current in the early part of the wash when the electric heaters are on.

Also clamp the CPC if machine is not fed via an RCD.

Have you clamped the supply to measure the current drawn by the machine at different stages of its cycle? Most current in the early part of the wash when the electric heaters are on.

Also clamp the CPC if machine is not fed via an RCD.
Thanks for that detailed and helpful reply Marconi. No i havent clamped anything yet as I have only spoken over the phone to the customer, also he has sent me the pictures. Are you suggesting to clamp it as a means of seeing if it is the 6kw or 9kw models and also to see if it is drawing enough to trip the mcb?

Thanks for that detailed and helpful reply Marconi. No i havent clamped anything yet as I have only spoken over the phone to the customer, also he has sent me the pictures. Are you suggesting to clamp it as a means of seeing if it is the 6kw or 9kw models and also to see if it is drawing enough to trip the mcb?
Yes and also to see if there is a live conductor to earth fault, which would not be shown up immediately if the circuit has no rcd - say motor, heater or EMI filter fault or perhaps the motor is straining to turn the drum for some reason. In your #1 you wrote:

He has had it in his house for 10 years. Recently it has started tripping the B40 MCB.

This change seems significant to me - why now after 10 years of satisfactory running? Hence the ampclamp tests to delve deeper.

Looking at the manual for the machine I think - not absolutely sure - that when first installed a commissioning engineer can select the heater power to suit the supply and use or not of a steam heater.

Last edited:

Reply to Is this single phase as well as 3 phase and what is it's power rating? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net