Discuss J.I.B grading within company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

justsouth

Hi, I've been a practising fully qualified electrician with the same company for 5 years now. My duties at work include all those listed under approved electricians definitions on the jib website.

Last year I decided to take my 17th plus 2391 exams for my own benefit. Although with that it now entitles me to be regarded to approved.

I left it a while before asking my company for a regrade due to economic times but last month thought hec why not ask as I've been doing approved duties for so many years.

They have responded by telling me they are willing to have my jib card regarded but not my pay bracket. Just wondering is this allowed? Is it worth it? Anyone have any similar experience if this? Cheers

Are they a JIB company, if not they can pay you what they like.

They are. Currently on fully qualified rate however they won't put me up to approved rate. They will only agree to regrade my card. Seems like they are getting the best of both world's to me!

- - - Updated - - -

They are. Currently on fully qualified rate however they won't put me up to approved rate. They will only agree to regrade my card. Seems like they are getting the best of both world's to me!

You have to consider whether the position in which you work, requires an approved grade.
From what you have said, it appears that it doesn't.
This situation occurs in lots of professions, most commonly within the armed forces and the Police.
You can take and pass for instance a sergeants exam, but untill a post becomes available and you are selected to fill it, you will not be promoted, or receive the higher pay grade.
In your position, I would accept the offer for Re-grading, then start looking for work elsewhere.
It will give you some idea of what's on offer, give you some idea, as to whether you even want to work at the place you are working now, and it could be that you can use the higher grade to re-negotiate at a later date.

agree with spin , get the better grading while with company , deal with the pay issues later.
the approved card will stay with you for good , pay and jobs will change.

Reply to J.I.B grading within company in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net