Discuss JIB Grading? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im about to send off for my first ECS card and grading.
Ive done 2330 2/3, 17th Edition, 2391, Im currently on the NVQ 2356 and have included a letter from my assessor, I have 7 years work experience From installs to periodics I have a letter From my Employer who i have currently been with for 5 years stating my skill set. Am i right in saying that i will only get a labourers card? based on not having completed the NVQ or could they consider my grading? i mean anything else is better than a labourers card lol :grinningelf:..
Any thoughts or views appreciated

James

Hi Engineer54 I dont have the am2 im afraid. But have been informed i wouldnt need to do it with regards to the NVQ 2356 but am guessing your gonna say it may enhance my grading with jib lol untill i get my NVQ!

It probably would have influenced the assessors yes. So how come you didn't take the AM2, i thought it was virtually mandatory with the 2330 level 3...

It probably would have influenced the assessors yes. So how come you didn't take the AM2, i thought it was virtually mandatory with the 2330 level 3...
I just didnt undertake it back in the day. I think it may have been mandatory with either the 2330 2/3 or as part of the NVQ but in the last year or so ive been able to do the NVQ 2356 without having to do the am2 as the 2356 has been phased out at the beggining of the year!!

You will get graded as 'Ancillary Operative'. You will not get Electrician grade until you have completed the NVQ Level 3 and have the certificate for it. You won't get Approved Electrician until you have been working as a graded Electrician for two years and the hold the 2391 or equivalent which you say you already have. :thumbup:

luckily someone around here understands the deep dark workings of the jib ;-D

if your nvq is underway , then they may issue you with a provisional electricians gold card valid for 12months while you finish up your portfolio.

once nvq is completed they will give you the full ticket.

and 2 years after that you can apply for approved grading with references and work experience to back it up.

As a general guide, since 1999 the mandatory requirement for the Installation Electrician ECS gold card has been the NVQ level 3. So it would need to be the apprentice electrician card until you've finished. You can however get your other qualifications put on the back of the card I think, give you something to show off to other apprentices

'Ancillary Operative' as I've already stated. You can have all the qualifications under the sun but without the NVQ Level 3 certificate to back it up you'll be graded as this. They also don't do Trainee cards anymore unless directly employed by a JIB member company.

It's a baws, I'd ask yourself how does the old codgers get payed more than the grafters... When they. Coffin dodgers and move at 2mph

IS there any rush for the card?

If not, surely the senisble thing would be to wait untill you've finished the NVQ ? How far off completing it are you?

Hi markc123 I basically did the ecs health and safety 2 years ago this november. I have the cert but didnt send off for the card as was holding on to it untill i signed up and completed the NVQ and im still doing the NVQ. Im just over half way through!

According to the J.I.B handbook you would get a Trainee Card as you are a "Stage 3 Trainee Electrician" Which is the last step to the Coveted Gold card

in their eyes having done both Both lvl 2/3 of the 2330 & you are Enrolled on the NVQ

@Eng54 The AM2 wasn't Mandatory for the 2356 as my College Tutors & NVQ Assessor told me I wouldn't have to do it due to my Age & the Experience I already had in The Trade.

Reply to JIB Grading? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net