Discuss Kitchen fan installation query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So today I was coring a 6 inch hole for a kitchen fan, now I cut my hole in the kitchen plasterboard and used a long sds bit to drill out the way, then I cored my 6 inch hole back the way. The hole coming back in is slightly off, am I best coring from inside back out until the first bricks widened to allow me to fit the fan. Or am I best just cutting the plasterboard to suit and then filling in the gap at the bottom, first time I’ve cored a hole today. Was a nightmare, batteries kept going flat lol!

I always core from the inside to the outside, I've yet to see a hole line up properly when people do it the other way round. Yes its more dusty but it ends up a much better hole and contrary to what people say it never breaks the bricks on the outside, I do however use a decent Marchrist cutter.

I will add that I just use a Bosch standard 240V SDS drill with a decent clutch, it has worked fine for about 10 years now and was about £80 compared to a much more expensive and heavier proper core drill, I've mainly done 117mm holes with it though.

I always core from the inside to the outside, I've yet to see a hole line up properly when people do it the other way round. Yes its more dusty but it ends up a much better hole and contrary to what people say it never breaks the bricks on the outside, I do however use a decent Marchrist cutter.

I will add that I just use a Bosch standard 240V SDS drill with a decent clutch, it has worked fine for about 10 years now and was about £80 compared to a much more expensive and heavier proper core drill, I've mainly done 117mm holes with it though.
I think I’ll do that from now on definitely

Coring? Use a mains powered drill. Battery ones are amazing, but don't wear them out needlessly. A 240V drill will make much lighter work of it, and they are not expensive compared with replacing a burnt out cordless. Obviously, if you don't have mains power, you have no choice, but if you do have mains power, even a cheap SDS will munch through faster and easier. I have used a very inexpensive SDS for years, coring and driving huge coach screws and concrete anchors. A good impact will drive concrete anchor bolts, but the mains powered SDS makes light work of it. Tools for courses. My cheapo SDS was £49.99, 20 years ago, and a full set of drill bits was about £15. OK, just occasional use, but never spared and never failed. You can kill a cordless in a day!

As mentioned above, core the hole from inside. I have tried the half and half method and its tricky to keep perfect alignment

I’m currently banging my way through a 14” thick block wall with a hammer and chisel for a 12” diameter fan….

Core drill?

Luxury…. Bloody luxury!

🤣🤪⚒️

Reply to Kitchen fan installation query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net