Discuss Kitchen on Stairs Landing??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

acvc

-
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any guidance on this please?

I started a rewire on Monday on a four storey house house.

Today, the client said that on the top floor landing, she wants to put a small kitchen set up, for use by two lodgers. On the top floor there are two bedrooms and a bathroom.

The issue is that both bedrooms need to access the stairs (as you would expect) by going past the kitchen set up. The obvious issue is access to the escape route of the stairs in the event of a fire starting at the kitchen set up on the landing.

The mini kitchen set up is an Ikea product - a single electric ring, a small sink, a small fridge, plus added microwave and storage units.

I'm sure it can't be permitted under the Building Regs ......... can it?

Thanks for any advice chaps.

Well answer my question with a concern why it is not allowed then you will get advice.

if it concerns you that much just contact the LABC for where the danger is being imposed upon the unsuspecting.

Well answer my question with a concern why it is not allowed then you will get advice.

if it concerns you that much just contact the LABC for where the danger is being imposed upon the unsuspecting.

.... any serious advice gratefully accepted thanks.

Ok, there isn't anything in the building regs about the location of a kitchen.

Now get your lazy butt into gear and do the job seeing as it seems you are looking for a excuse not to do it.

Don't know of any regs to stop you having this kind of set up. personally wouldn't even bother me tbh. just tell them to be ultra careful when cooking :)

Ok, there isn't anything in the building regs about the location of a kitchen.

Now get your lazy butt into gear and do the job seeing as it seems you are looking for a excuse not to do it.

If you've got nothing constructive to say, just don't bother saying anything. There are plenty of nice helpful people here that give this forum the excellent reputation it deserves.

I did give helpfull advice, in fact I pointed out before the others who you,thanked that there isn't a reg against it. Yet you choose not to thank me, still I suppose if it makes you feel superior you will feel good for it.

Just had a look at one of these units, not sure of loads, but a double socket seems to be the order here. So if you put the socket where she wants it, It doesnt matter what she plugs into it. I thought she would be me concerned with the plumbing and waste off it.

Part P requires you to comply with all other parts of the building regs. If a building inspector was signing off this job I doubt he would care which floor the kitchen is on, but he would care about the layout. As I understand it a kitchen would be required to have a door. And on higher levels, fire resistance becomes more of an issue. Though this doesn't mean it's your job to police the entire works.

Reply to Kitchen on Stairs Landing??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net