Discuss Klik plug and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Klik plugs are rated at 6 amp with 075mm flex.

But I have seen them used on 10 amp breakers in shops and the like with the plug in Rose's and with the Marshallling boxs?

How does that work if the plug is only 6 amp

Is it due to the flex length being so short or something else?

But I have seen them used on 10 amp breakers in shops and the like with the plug in Rose's and with the Marshallling boxs?

But the load that the Klik plugs are supplying will be less than 6A presumably?

Last edited:

Anyone actually checked the actual loading, or is the the question theoretical?

You can wire pendant sets to 16A lighting circuits and they are only rated 2A! There is a regulation mentioning 0.75mm flex being suitable for connecting lights to lighting circuits with circuit protection rated above the CCC of the flex. But I'm too lazy/tired right now to find it...

But the load that the Klik plugs are supplying will be less than 6A presumably?
Anyone actually checked the actual loading, or is the the question theoretical?

Theoretical.....the load would be a lights off each klik point on a circuit of say 10 lights

So the total load would be way less than 6 amps at anyone point. Or even in total

My question is then is they only need to be rated for the drawn load not the load that the breaker could supply

Theoretical.....the load would be a lights off each klik point on a circuit of say 10 lights

So the total load would be way less than 6 amps at anyone point. Or even in total

My question is then is they only need to be rated for the drawn load not the load that the breaker could supply

Think of a single 13A socket fed from a 32A MCB.

some light switches used to come marked 6amp max , yet would be used on 10a and even 16a circuits.
again it’s just a case of being pragmatic about what you are connecting to the light switch or klik plug...

Every lighting pendant uses 0.75mm cable from the rose to the lamp holder.
I too think there is a reg on this. I too CBA to go and find it!
[automerge]1597048860[/automerge]
I did find it! but it is not in BS7671. It is specified in BS EN 60598 – the applicable British and European standard for lights – this requires cable to be at least 0.75mm² for light fittings. So thats what we get - the least!

Last edited:
Sorry to bump but I still can't understand this or its just driving me nuts

So a rated at 6 amp 0.75 klik plug flex connected into a marshaling box supplying a light can be used on a 10 amp circuit breaker :/

You can wire pendant sets to 16A lighting circuits and they are only rated 2A! There is a regulation mentioning 0.75mm flex being suitable for connecting lights to lighting circuits with circuit protection rated above the CCC of the flex. But I'm too lazy/tired right now to find it...

But it is supplying a fixed load that will be less than the capacity of the plug or flex.

[automerge]1597048860[/automerge]

I did find it! but it is not in BS7671. It is specified in BS EN 60598 – the applicable British and European standard for lights – this requires cable to be at least 0.75mm² for light fittings. So thats what we get - the least!
Sorry to bump but I still can't understand this or its just driving me nuts

So a rated at 6 amp 0.75 klik plug flex connected into a marshaling box supplying a light can be used on a 10 amp circuit breaker :/

Generally when people fit klik boxes they want to provide a local isolation for each individual light fitting. By doing so, each klik plug will only draw the load from 1 light fitting. If a light fitting is an LED panel say, it will only draw approx 40W meaning each klik plug will only be taking 40W of load.

Its the cable feeding the klik box itself which needs to be rated high enough for the 10A MCB as this is the cable where the load from all the klik plugs combined will travel.

It’s been mentioned a few times already, but it’s exactly the same situation as a domestic pendant.

1.5mm on a 6A supply going to a rose.... 0.75 flex down to lampholder.
All that the 0.75 flex is taking is one lamp.
In the cliks case, one fitting.

Or, unfused spur from an rfc? a 2.5 cable that can only carry 26A, on a 32A OCPD
The load on the end of the cable is limited to 2 x13A fuses.

So a rated at 6 amp 0.75 klik plug flex connected into a marshaling box supplying a light can be used on a 10 amp circuit breaker

Yes. The MCB protects the flex against short-circuit, the fixed load protects it against overload. 0.75mm² flex can handle 6A continuously. To overload the flex without tripping the 10A breaker, the load would have to draw a current between 6A and 14.5A. For this to happen, a fixed lighting load such as a 40W LED driver would in theory be disspating over 6 * 230 = 1400W and would immediately self-destruct, becoming either become short-circuit (and trip the MCB) or open-circuit. In reality it will have some internal protection of its own such as a 1A fuse or fusible resistor that will open long before the cable rating is exceeded.

As Lucian has explained, you have two requirements for protection:
  • Fault protection (eg. short)
  • Overload protection (e.g. too much plugged in to on a set of sockets)
Usually you must have fault protection (with only a few special exceptions), however, overload protection is not explicitly required for fixed loads.

Here the MCB is only providing fault protection, so as long as the MCB's disconnection time is acceptable and the let-through energy (i.e. the I2t) is below the cable's adiabatic limit for not damaging the insulation for an infrequent event, all is OK.

Overload protection is not normally needed on a per-light basis, as Lucian explained. Thankfully we no longer have those adaptors to allow appliances to be plugged in to a bayonet socket!

However, for anything with multiple load points that can be plugged in you would normally need overload protection, so the light circuit MCB ought to be coordinated with the main cable(s) feeding the lights, just as you would for the MCB protecting socket outlets. But smaller, obviously!

You can wire pendant sets to 16A lighting circuits and they are only rated 2A! There is a regulation mentioning 0.75mm flex being suitable for connecting lights to lighting circuits with circuit protection rated above the CCC of the flex. But I'm too lazy/tired
I bet many would code a 16A MCB on domestic lighting C3 or 2 though its allowed ,subject to installation method.
S

Reply to Klik plug and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net