Discuss Landlords own electrical remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hope this is ok and also posted in the correct section as this is my first post. As a landlord can I do my own electrical repairs/modifications or is there a legislation that prevents this. I know there is new legislation that requires a safety check every 5 years but is there a specific legislation that dictates I must use a registered electrician for any work other than a safety certificate or is it just considered best practice?

You would need to speak to your insurers to see if they would cover you doing electrical work.

How will you prove competency?
And issue certification.
This is my thought, I am not actually considering doing this myself. It is a family member that is currently renting and the landlord has installed his own pre-pay meter and did the work himself. I cant find a definitive answer on the legality of this, it has not been checked by a registered electrician either.

If it’s a repair in the truest sense like replacing a smashed light switch then I would just get on with it

if it’s a repair to The fixed wiring like replacing cables , then perhaps leave it to the pros

Theres nothing to stop anyone doing electrical work in their own home.... thats why the big DIY sheds stock everything from a 3A fuse to a consumer unit..... However, when its being rented out, then you have the "General Public" to worry about

Theres nothing to stop anyone doing electrical work in their own home.... thats why the big DIY sheds stock everything from a 3A fuse to a consumer unit..... However, when its being rented out, then you have the "General Public" to worry about
My thoughts exactly but I want to be able to quote legislation when I take this landlord to task, being a landlord myself who does everything within the guidelines and legislation it infuriates me when others think that the rules dont apply to them.

It is a family member that is currently renting and the landlord has installed his own pre-pay meter and did the work himself.
I won’t comment on the legality as I’m not skilled in matters legal, but an unskilled labourer working unsupervised doing electrical work is clearly not the right thing to do. Sorry to say, but if that’s the approach to electrical work one has to be concerned about the gas installation too... If you post a pic of the DIY meter installation I’m sure you’ll get feedback.

As most LL areas are accessed by tenants/general public the LL has a duty of care to ensure that the areas are safe, not just from an electrical perspective either. (Of course nothing will be done unless there is an accident).
There may come in time an EICR required for LL areas but one step at a time!

If you are a landlord and you are renting out for property then by definition that would make you a commercial entity, which by extension means you MUST comply with Electricity at Work Regulations.

Attached should be 2 publications from the HSE,

HSR25 - Memorandum on The Electricity at Work Regulations

HSG85 - EAWR Safe Working Practices.

(If they haven't attached, just Google 'HSG85' and 'HSR25', or just EAWR)

HSR25 explains every regulation in detail and how to comply. As a landlord the one you want to pay particular interest to is Regulation 29

Defence. 29. In any proceedings for an offence consisting of a contravention of regulations 4(4), 5, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 25, it shall be a defence for any person to prove that he took all reasonable steps and exercised all due diligence to avoid the commission of that offence.

In short; Did you do everything you could to prevent danger or matters that may give rise to danger.

There are others in there that govern,among other things

• Safe working practices
  • Connections
  • Protection
  • Competency

The latter is the most important as a person that is competent should be able to comply with the other regulations with relative ease.

Read the aforementioned documents, any questions by all means come back with them.

The Landlord I think is saying can he change a light. Switch. Socket. etc

He did say he would be getting cert every 5 years i think......

It is a family member that is currently renting and the landlord has installed his own pre-pay meter and did the work himself. I cant find a definitive answer on the legality of this, it has not been checked by a registered electrician either.
All assuming England - the rules differ between the four counties in the UK.
As stated, IF the person doing the work is competent to do so (and has the appropriate test equipment), then it is legal for them to do it. If the work doesn't include notifiable work then there's no notification to do. The ONLY notifiable works in England are replacement of a CU, addition of a circuit, work within the zones of a bathroom.

However, when you say the landlord installed his own pre-pay meter, is this in addition to (and downstream of) the supplier's meter ? It would be illegal for him to interfere with the existing meter.
There are a load of regulations that come into play when a private meter is installed, so unless he's signed up with one of the outfits that manage this sort of thing, it's highly likely that he's breaking some regulation or other relating to the private metering.

As stated, IF the person doing the work is competent to do so (and has the appropriate test equipment), then it is legal for them to do it. If the work doesn't include notifiable work then there's no notification to do. The ONLY notifiable works in England are replacement of a CU, addition of a circuit, work within the zones of a bathroom.

However, when you say the landlord installed his own pre-pay meter, is this in addition to (and downstream of) the supplier's meter ? It would be illegal for him to interfere with the existing meter.
There are a load of regulations that come into play when a private meter is installed, so unless he's signed up with one of the outfits that manage this sort of thing, it's highly likely that he's breaking some regulation or other relating to the private metering.
I have seen a situation where a PPM has been provided on the suppliers side, and a coin meter in the flat too fitted by the LL, both meters were being fed by the tenant, IMO morally wrong.

I haven't seen the installation myself but I can only assume its downstream of the energy suppliers own meter. I have researched the type of meter that he has installed and it requires him to pay a subscription for the service provided by the manufacturer as it is an electronic system by way of a sim card and utilises an Internet based service to send the money paid onto the meter to his bank account. I'm stunned that someone unregistered and not necessarily possessing the correct skills or knowledge can effectively intercept a single phase supply to fit a meter in that way, disregarding the fact that it was a replacement. Surely this contravenes safety standards for electricity supply in a rented property not to mention the effect on any buildings insurance should damage or injury occur as a direct result of his work?

None of this matters unless the installation is in some way non-compliant or dangerous, and so far no evidence has been presented that it is.

We need a photo please.

Out of interest, why has the landlord suddenly decided to fit a prepayment meter anyway?

None of this matters unless the installation is in some way non-compliant or dangerous, and so far no evidence has been presented that it is.

We need a photo please.

Out of interest, why has the landlord suddenly decided to fit a prepayment meter anyway?
I'm not able to get a photo of the installation currently but will post one when possible. The original meter was a coin operated one which he replaced with a digital one which is topped up via the Internet.

Reply to Landlords own electrical remedial work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net