Discuss Landscape over Portrait in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Worcester

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Looking for some help and solutions here :) So hopefully someone has already sorted this challenge.

We've got two jobs to do where the only way we can get acceptable sized systems and leave sufficient distances from the edges, eaves and ridges is to have two rows, 1 x landscape over 1 x portrait. (Rosemary/plain tiles over rafters @600c/c - yes the rafters are big enough :) )

The challenge is to keep the panels mounted at the same height. I can see two possible solutions

1) Can anyone tell me which panels can be secured on their short edges?
else
2) the top row will have to be cross-railed, in which case what rail system / arrangement is there that allows us to how can we install both rows in the same plane (i.e. at the same height above the tiles) so that there isn't step in mounting height between trthe rows.

1) Hyundai work well in landscape clamped on short side.

Have you considered larger or smaller panels? Going up to something like a Renesola 300 (1956mm), Canadian Solar 295 (1954mm) or down to a Gallium 275 (1575mm)?

Last edited:
To be honest, a lot of panels can be mounted on short sides nowadays. A couple of year ago, hardly any panels could be done in this way but it seems now that almost any panel I check allows this kind of mounting method.

I've only ever mounted panels on the short sides once.

Weve done a couple of times - using LG - which i guess are more or less the same as Hyundai.

Attachments

• DSC04715 (Medium).JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 91
You could use the tritec insertion system, it is cross railed and not clamped to panels at all.
Great system in my opinion.
And if you could get any and want to use them you could use Suntech.

I hope this helps.

the alternative wouild presumably be 2 x 1.3m panel rows in portrait, though sourcing those panels is increasingly problematic - romag can do them special order but you'll need to give them 3-4 weeks notice... that'd look the neatest unless there are other problems I'm not aware of

Thanks for the replies, these are a couple of small systems for one of our corporate clients, so have to be careful on panel choice (consistency across all their plants) we're not specifically short of space, however the larger panels would mean smaller overall systems, and 'high' effieincy panel costs are not justified, the two tier levels doesn't worry them, it's just me looking for the best aesthetic installations (neither will be seen / overlooked as the are on the rear of the properties).

The Tritec system looks very siilar to the Sen Sol-50 system - which wholesalers stock the Tritec system? (I like the idea of only 3 rails for 2 rows even if I double up the supports :) )

Last edited:

Reply to Landscape over Portrait in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net