Discuss LED downlights "glowing" in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

I recall seeing a couple of threads recently where people had led downlights that appeared to "glow" when turned off.

Is this caused by running the cables for the lights close to other cables?

The reason I ask, is that I've got to fit 14 next week (in 3 switched areas) in a kitchen/dining room and want to get it right first time - especially as the ceiling is currently down!

Thanks

It's not a very common problem but it sometimes occurs when there's only one or two LED lamps on a circuit. The more lamps on the circuit the less likely it is to happen.

It's caused by the capacitive effect of another live cable running long distances alongside the cable supplying the lamps.

so next ammendment to BS7671 will tell us all to only use shielded cable or run it in earthed conduit........... Actually, why don't they just reissue the 14th and add in some stuff about RCD's.......

Hi guys, this is my first post, anyway, I bought some cheap led lights from B&Q recently and I had the same problem, as marvo said, it was a small circuit of 4 lights. As it turned out the client didnt care because it was a good night light lol, I found though that if you buy better quality led lamps like Philips Gu10 led lamps the problem stops.

It's not a very common problem but it sometimes occurs when there's only one or two LED lamps on a circuit. The more lamps on the circuit the less likely it is to happen.

It's caused by the capacitive effect of another live cable running long distances alongside the cable supplying the lamps.

Thanks - this is as I thought and as 8 of the lights are arranged on two way switching I think I'll run the 3 cores slightly further apart than usual. Easy to do now while the ceiling is down, not easy to rectify later. lol

Reply to LED downlights "glowing" in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net