Discuss LED lamp replacement radio interferance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hadleigh sparks

hi everyone , we have just started installing led tubes in place of existing florescents into existing fittings, we are altering the wiring removing the choke and control gear as is required leaving 230 volts at each end of the tube.
We have found that the tubes are causing interferance with the radios and also the sky televisions in these shops ,
has anyone come up against this problem before and if so what have you done to resolve it ??
thanks

You need to identify if the noise is radio frequency of if it's being induced into the power system. Only then can you decide on remedial action.

only know a little bit of theory that the starters in fluorescent lamps usually have a radio interference suppression capacitor in them. Is there a manufacturer helpline?

The starters and ballasts and any associated pfc components should have been removed if LED tubes were fitted. You might get lucky with a helpline or maybe just go back to the supplier they were purchased from. If they're crap quality he would be aware of these problems and might know of a quick fix.

Last edited:
The starters and ballasts and any associated pfc components should have been removed if LED tubes were fitted. You might get lucky with a helpline or maybe just go back to the supplier they were purchased from. If they're crap quality he would be aware of these problems and might know of a quick fix.

Thanks for your help,
Thanks for that all of the ballast and control gear has been removed from all the fittings leaving 230 volts at each as per manufacters guidelines , they have stated that in their opinoin a double insulated power supply will resolve the problem along with better insulation for the power supply.
Just wondered what your thoughts on that would be
thank again

whats a snubber, heard someone mention one of these for interferance??? maybe someone wigth expierience can work this one out

I think you're right about snubbers being used for radio interference. I know they're also used to prevent surges on contactor coils damaging controls. Had to fit one to a contactor controlled by a underfloor heating programmer/thermostat on a 20A UFH circuit. The surge from the coil being energised knackered the original stat.

Anyway, that's a bit off topic but a snubber is just a capacitor and resistor in series across the live and neutral connections. Don't know what size you would need though or if it would work at all for that matter.

Have a word with the supplier though, if it is a common problem they should know all about it and have a solution. If they don't have a solution return the lamps as they are not fit for purpose.

Thanks for your help,
Thanks for that all of the ballast and control gear has been removed from all the fittings leaving 230 volts at each as per manufacters guidelines , they have stated that in their opinoin a double insulated power supply will resolve the problem along with better insulation for the power supply.
Just wondered what your thoughts on that would be
thank again
Double insulation is a technique used in Class 2 appliances to prevent the user getting an electric shock. I don't see what this has to do with noise issues.
When you say 'double insulated' and 'power supply' I'm assuming you're talking about a step-down PSU, (I maybe losing something in translation also) what type of power supply unit are you using? A link would be helpful. Where is the power supply located? You say in the opening post that the tubes require 220 volts across them so I'm a little confused as to why a power supply unit would be necessary. A link to the specs of LED tubes you're using would also be good.
Just a thought on the fly by missing earths can increase the noise by making any built-in shielding/suppression less effective.

Last edited:

Reply to LED lamp replacement radio interferance in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net