Discuss led lighting in kick boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Owner of house requires LED lighting in kitchen kick boards. Possibly those small diameter ones that I've seen on the odd occasion. Are there others that fix on the under side of the cupboard ( basement). would you wire these LED lights as you would an ordinary every day light point ie put light switch on wall with others that control the ceiling lights. If a driver used, house the driver behind the kick boards? As always, any tips / advice appreciated.

LED strip gives a good effect and is not usually visible if mounted at the top of the kickboard. Built in appliances can spoil the run of tape though so check first.
Switch from wherever the client wants a convenient switch point.
Driver/transformer can live behind the kickboard. The boards easily remove for maintenence although there is the argument of inaccessible connections.

I have a 13A socket in a cupboard which mine are plugged in to. I use a remote control socket so that I can switch them on and off as required. Daz

LED strip gives a good effect and is not usually visible if mounted at the top of the kickboard. Built in appliances can spoil the run of tape though so check first.
Switch from wherever the client wants a convenient switch point.
Driver/transformer can live behind the kickboard. The boards easily remove for maintenence although there is the argument of inaccessible connections.

i like the idea of the strip LED lighting. i get the feeling that the circular ones over time will attract dirt around the edges.
i would of thought, if kick board is removable then access for maintenance, testing etc will be OK. If a driver used, surly that's the best place for it, isn't it?

Cos RF goes through wood :) Daz

Aggghhh the reason i asked was.......At home my BT box etc is housed within a cupboard. the remote will NOT work on it to change channels etc. When in use door is open. Luckily the door is in a corner so not too bad, neat and tidy when not in use.

Aggghhh the reason i asked was.......At home my BT box etc is housed within a cupboard. the remote will NOT work on it to change channels etc. When in use door is open. Luckily the door is in a corner so not too bad, neat and tidy when not in use.
remotes normally use ir, so even putting your hand infront or a piece of paper will stop them working

meant to put ir rather than rf

Last edited:
remotes normally use rf, so even putting your hand infront or a piece of paper will stop them working

Garbage. Most remote controls for tvs etc are IR. And a piece of paper certainly won't stop RF anyway. otherwise your radio wouldn't work in the house. Daz

Garbage. Most remote controls for tvs etc are IR. And a piece of paper certainly won't stop RF anyway. otherwise your radio wouldn't work in the house. Daz
i meant ir rather than rf XD

you can get the multismart remotes (cant remember the name)

look at hdnation on revision3 and there always talking about them and these use bluetooth or ir i think

im half asleep.

You can indeed get remote extenders that receive IR and send to a receiver over RF yes. very useful, I use one so that I can operate my Sky, etc while the cupboard door is shut. Daz

These are some of the ones I fitted to our kitchen - they are bright!

I ran the feed from switch during the refurb to the 3 locations I needed! Not sure about having an RF switch - I can see that getting mislaid!

Plinth Lights.jpg

Edit : These are from the Sensio range

These are led strips applied to the underside of the carcases and led strips in the cuboards.
https://www.------------/2097162758...0.1411846358./268528156607863/?type=1&theater

Just fitted a strip on my stairs controlled with an outside photocell, so there is always light on the stairs for the kids (the toilet is downstairs), gives a surprisingly good effect.
DSC04417.jpg

No other pics.
My stairs has a lip at the base of the bannisters so you can't see the LED strip unless you kneel down. Yes always lit when dark (there is an isolator in the cupboard under the stairs if I want to turn it off). Mainly fitted because of the kids, but is a good security measure as well. 4.8W per metre, so not worried about the cost.

Reply to led lighting in kick boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net