Search the forum,

Discuss Lenghtening 1.5 mm lighting cables within the consumer unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blue Whale

At a job recently where the previous spark had left the 1.5mm lighting cables within the consumer unit,
with no slack at all., which left the connections to the fuse terminal under strain.

is there an industry standard way of sorting this problem ie adding a short length of cable to the original.

is connector blocks covered with self amalgamating tape legitimate?.

The whole consumer unit is a connector block! Get over yourselves.

its there, openable,accessable . Why oh why oh why is a connector block sniffed at. It is a connector block!

Trouble is sparks dont realise about floating connector blocks are not a good thing where as mechanical connections are ok.
nothing inside a CU should be floating about if it is a screw terminal

nah. line products in linpush-in connectors. dog's blooks

they are superb. just a bit bulkier than butt crimps.

Got to agree those in-line connectors are good. Have used them a lot with no problems, nice and tidy, especially in a consumer unit!

Connector blocks for me from now on just to annoy everyone. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

That is, clipped either side to relieve any strain issues....

Connector blocks for me from now on just to annoy everyone. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

That is, clipped either side to relieve any strain issues....

how do you unlike a post. :rockon2:

In a CU or DB, and purely from an aesthetic standing, i would always go for a in-line butt crimp with heat shrink tubing connection over any other type of mechanical connector. Just looks like a far more professional job to me. The use of in your face visible connectors, such as choc block or in-line Wagos and the like, just makes the job look like a DIY affair!!

In a CU or DB, and purely from an aesthetic standing, i would always go for a in-line butt crimp with heat shrink tubing connection over any other type of mechanical connector. Just looks like a far more professional job to me. The use of in your face visible connectors, such as choc block or in-line Wagos and the like, just makes the job look like a DIY affair!!

Ok ok I do agree absolutely, they look terrible littered around. i was just being devils advocate & making a point....

Trouble is sparks dont realise about floating connector blocks are not a good thing where as mechanical connections are ok. Why not?
nothing inside a CU should be floating about if it is a screw terminal Who says? Reg no.?

I'm not disagreeing with you, but could you put a bit of meat on the bones of these statements?

Reply to Lenghtening 1.5 mm lighting cables within the consumer unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net