Discuss Light Switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bri.66

Hi, i have a room with 2 lights both working off seperate switches having said that the on/off switches are both together on the same plate, is it possible to join the switch wires together feed them into 1 on/off switch for them to come on together?The wiring is all good throughout the house and the cu is all up to date,cheers.

you will probably find that the 2 switches are linked across common/common and each switch live will come from L1 on each switch. remove the link and put both switch lives in one switch. all done with the circuit isolated of course.

yeah, just means you're feeding 2 lights through 1 switch. i am thinking though, one is not 2 way, is it? that could complicate matters.

This is highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened...

You really need to be sure that that switch is only fed from one circuit. This will be obvious if there is only one live feed.

If there were two circuits supplying that switch (which is common on 2-way stair lighting) and you joined the live feeds together someone will get an electric shock in the future.

that's why i said 2 way could complicate the issue. if 2 live feeds, then one needs disconnecting. in fact, i would say, judging from the OP as to his experience or lack of, if it's anything but straightforward, get a sparks inn to sort it out, or leave as is.

basically you can leave the 2 gang switch and just move 1 switch wire or replace with a 1 gang.

Reply to Light Switch? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I've moved into a flat and I've decided to replace the original electric switches and sockets with white ones. I've done them all...
Replies
Views
I have a single wall switch powering 1 light and I want to add a separate light and change to wall switch to a double to power them both...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm replacing standard light switches in my hall and landing with touch switches (not smart, just touch on/off) like these from Amazon...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock