Discuss Limiting power from sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Two bits of additional information.

The house is a listed building so adding an EV Charger means listed building consent which costs time and a lot of money.

Being a listed building with thick walls my smart meter is dum because it can’t connect to the Wide Area Network.

As a general point, upping rates to allow for EV charging is a non starter as far as I am concerned. It makes me less competitive in a competitive marketplace and why should regular car drivers pay for EV drivers.

I read your post and at first agreed with it. However, I'm not so sure actually. We don't have petrol pumps in our own homes, but we do have EV chargers. Supplying energy for our vehicles in changing towards having it available at our own homes and this probably would be a good selling point for you.

One option may be talk about all of this on your website. Specifically mention the fact that you have noticed more and more people using the electricity to charge their cars. Then go on to say that because of this reason you have installed an EV charger for this purpose, but you would need to charge for this. Perhaps get a meter installed and if the customer uses over a certain (fairly high) amount of electricity you could charge.

I still think the best option (least hassle) would be just to fit it and offer it as part of the whole package, after bumping up your prices just a little.
I read your post and at first agreed with it. However, I'm not so sure actually. We don't have petrol pumps in our own homes, but we do have EV chargers. Supplying energy for our vehicles in changing towards having it available at our own homes and this probably would be a good selling point for you.

One option may be talk about all of this on your website. Specifically mention the fact that you have noticed more and more people using the electricity to charge their cars. Then go on to say that because of this reason you have installed an EV charger for this purpose, but you would need to charge for this. Perhaps get a meter installed and if the customer uses over a certain (fairly high) amount of electricity you could charge.

I still think the best option (least hassle) would be just to fit it and offer it as part of the whole package, after bumping up your prices just a little.
As you say, people fit EV chargers to THEIR homes For THEIR use

If you wanted to limit current in the property you could have the heavy duty appliances hard wired on to different circuits through an fused connection unit etc and have the rest of the sockets on a 10A MCB, this would allow for almost all general use and prevent things like heaters and car chargers being plugged in

You would obviously need to get a decent spark in to do it and check practicality.

Reply to Limiting power from sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net