Discuss Live earth fault on every leg of the ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Brief run down for you all

Checked end to end of ring that’s sound
Meggered LN sound NE sound LE 0.03

Split the ring same stuff
Split it again same stuff again

Long story short stripped all sockets off on the ring and every single leg has a LE fault

Was rewired 2010

Only logical thing I can think is just a bad drum of cable was used ?
The CU is a screwfix off brand thing so one can only assume it is screwfix special T&E used

Anyone got a better suggestion please let me know left me scratching my noodle for a while

EDIT:
there are no neons
The cable is twin and earth 2.5mm
All sockets were removed ring completely split at every outlet

Last edited:
if those readings are in Megohms, the 3.48M is acceptable. the 0.03 looks like a neon. hidden FCUs?

Any of the following still connected?
neon lights on spurs or switches
surge protected sockets or usb sockets
rcd sockets
rcbo on supply?

That is sounding very much like bad cable. Odd it is just the L but presumably it could have been the brown PVC mix that was contaminated in some way.

I wonder if it was like that new and the installer just ignored it, or if it has gone bad with time?

The rented "anti vandal site office" we have just is a bit like that, but all circuits in the 0.2M region for both L-E and N-E even though not much T&E. Not ours to fix though :(

rcd sockets
rcbo on supply?
rcd sockets
rcbo on supply?
Every thing is disconnected pal literally just legs out the wall and every single leg has a LE fault some 0.03M next one coul be 0.59M one leg was 3.38M but every single leg was faulting

Can you get enough of the T&E to read the manufacturer's details, etc? Wonder if there is any site with recall information on bad cable.

Surge protected extension leads still plugged into each separated section?!
Can you get enough of the T&E to read the manufacturer's details, etc? Wonder if there is ant site with recall information on bad cable.
Not at the minute left my suggestion and findings with homeowner he’s ringing home insurance to see if he can get them to foot the bill 😂

That is sounding very much like bad cable. Odd it is just the L but presumably it could have been the brown PVC mix that was contaminated in some way.

I wonder if it was like that new and the installer just ignored it, or if it has gone bad with time?

The rented "anti vandal site office" we have just is a bit like that, but all circuits in the 0.2M region for both L-E and N-E even though not much T&E. Not ours to fix though :(
I thought the same about the installer like don’t get me wrong board was tidy sockets made off neat decent looking job from what I’ve seen, but I’m sure LE readings would have been down from install on a faulty drum ? 12 years is a rapid decline.
I’ve asked homeowner for test results if any were provided like there’s no name on board no stickers or ote like that basic stuff but usually a tell tale of someone who isn’t fully legit

I doubt that if it was the fault would be shown before that the only way split the cables.
I doubt that if it was the fault would be shown before that the only way split the cables.
Sorry I feel I must have worded it poorly but I did mate I took every socket off and every leg between every socket had a LE fault my thinking was the drum must have been
NE >999
LN >999
LE >50

Something like that at install so it would have held fine and now 12 year down line it’s broke down and obviously a shitty LE anyway Would explain every leg having the same fault

The only possibilities are really
a) cable faulty
b) VERY wacky wiring, e.g. everything connected back to one point somehow
c) MFT suddenly faulty (I guess you have repeated earlier good readings to rule that out already)
Everything else (flood, rats, plasterers, plumbers) wouldn't consistently only affect live.

I'm sure most of us would be interested in the outcome of this one as it's rather a nightmare for you and customer.

Reply to Live earth fault on every leg of the ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net