Discuss Looking For Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OK, let us know how you get on. Always better to hear of a successful conclusion (either by yourself or from getting in a professional).

Hello one and all,

When I went to lumber yard a couple3 days ago I purchased identical receptacles to replace two old ones. (The old ones were working perfect, but old)

Today, I rummaged through the garbage bag and found the two old receptacles that I had thrown out, and after comparing the old with the new, I finally solved my problem of yesterday.

The two old receptacles that I had ----ed away were "missing" a little piece of metal on the hot side (where the red and black wires go), whereas the new receptacle had the little piece of metal intact. On the other side of the receptacles...the neutral side, (where the white and ground wire goes), the two old receptacles had the little piece of metal in place, as did the new one.

I installed an old receptacle, with same wiring format as it originally had, and same as how I rewired new one yesterday...and lo 'n' behold > POWER!

Big thanks to each of you members here, who gave freely of your time to help me. Your responses were very much appreciated.

I'll try to attach a pic and hopefully it will get through.

Cheers, and stay safe :)

PS: and yes there was another breaker system OUTSIDE the house on the meter line. I have never seen this (or even heard of it) in my life on the outside of any house, that I have worked on...hopefully no drunk, or disgruntled neighbour deliberately trips it to cause a black-out inside the house lol
[automerge]1588370651[/automerge]

Hello one and all,

When I went to lumber yard a couple3 days ago I purchased identical receptacles to replace two old ones. (The old ones were working perfect, but old)

Today, I rummaged through the garbage bag and found the two old receptacles that I had thrown out, and after comparing the old with the new, I finally solved my problem of yesterday.

The two old receptacles that I had ----ed away were "missing" a little piece of metal on the hot side (where the red and black wires go), whereas the new receptacle had the little piece of metal intact. On the other side of the receptacles...the neutral side, (where the white and ground wire goes), the two old receptacles had the little piece of metal in place, as did the new one.

I installed an old receptacle, with same wiring format as it originally had, and same as how I rewired new one yesterday...and lo 'n' behold > POWER!

Big thanks to each of you members here, who gave freely of your time to help me. Your responses were very much appreciated.

PS: and yes there was another breaker system OUTSIDE the house on the meter line. I have never seen this (or even heard of it) in my life on the outside of any house, that I have worked on...hopefully no drunk, or disgruntled neighbour deliberately trips it to cause a black-out inside the house lol
Kcannon congratulations on finding your problem and all the people who tried to help you congratulations to the members

Hello one and all,

Testing pic again
Kcannon congratulations on finding your problem and all the people who tried to help you congratulations to the members
I have made several attempts to upload the image via the insert, the drag and drop, the attach method. Neither of the 3 will work. I keep getting that notification
[automerge]1588371374[/automerge]
Testing pic again

I have made several attempts to upload the image via the insert, the drag and drop, the attach method. Neither of the 3 will work. I keep getting that notification
Testing pic again
[automerge]1588371519[/automerge]
Trying to upload pic AGAIN
[automerge]1588371691[/automerge]
Testing pic again

[automerge]1588371374[/automerge]

Testing pic again
[automerge]1588371519[/automerge]
Trying to upload pic AGAIN
[automerge]1588372531[/automerge]
Attempting to upload pic one more time

Last edited:
I told you in post # 10 that the side screws were linked together I just addressed it to PC which was meant for you. Good deal

"The 2 screws on the sides are linked together."

^^^ That's what you said. And on the new receptacle they were linked together...which was why it didn't work.

The old receptacle(s) on the hot side were not linked together. Which was why the system worked when I re-installed the old receptacle. They are not supposed to be linked together on the HOT side as the new receptacle was, where the red and black wires are.
[automerge]1588384528[/automerge]
"The 2 screws on the sides are linked together."

^^^ That's what you said. And on the new receptacle they were linked together...which was why it didn't work.

The old receptacle(s) on the hot side were not linked together. Which was why the system worked when I re-installed the old receptacle. They are not supposed to be linked together on the HOT side as the new receptacle was, where the red and black wires are.

Yesterday, If I had taken my snips and cut away the little piece of metal that connected the black wire screw to the red wire screw on the new receptacle ... my problem would not have even occurred at all.

Last edited:

Reply to Looking For Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net