Discuss lumens/W lux flux and all in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
in training this week we were learning about about lighting, and how to calculate what illuminance is needed in certain places. does anyone know where i can get information on the lighting design or have any expierience in this. i.e how many lux is needed foir houses/shops/comercial etc. someone told me try cisbe website but i had no luck. thanks

in training this week we were learning about about lighting, and how to calculate what illuminance is needed in certain places. does anyone know where i can get information on the lighting design or have any expierience in this. i.e how many lux is needed foir houses/shops/comercial etc. someone told me try cisbe website but i had no luck. thanks

Isn't this measured in candela's as I remember from my college day?

it is aye, aint got my notes in front of me.sorry. just making it up as i go along for this post. its just i wanted to practice a little if i knew what light levels was needed in certain areas.

does anyone ,electricians ever do these sums for jobs. just im knew to this and wanna learn something on it.

when you buy lights, does it give all the info to save you doing these sums???

it is aye, aint got my notes in front of me.sorry. just making it up as i go along for this post. its just i wanted to practice a little if i knew what light levels was needed in certain areas.

does anyone ,electricians ever do these sums for jobs. just im knew to this and wanna learn something on it.

when you buy lights, does it give all the info to save you doing these sums???

You rarely need to use this, only when customer wants to save a few bob on fittings and still maximise lighting.

I had a shed load of questions on this from my 2330. Would have to dig it out for you though.

i have loads of questions , and i have no problem working them out, its just he said that i would be able to get the light levels of certain places/areas on the internet. i.e sports halls, theatres etc. but thank you . and if you know where to get the light levels a double thank you. cause then i can check lights and work out how many i would need in certain areas etc..

CIBSE guide A also gives general guidance on illumination levels, but wont be any use to you apart from that single table. Your best bet is like what Lenny says and get the SLL code for lighting if you are seriously interested in this. I have both of these books and can maybe help you if you need any illuminance levels.

Last edited:
cheers mark80 yeah the up to date illuminance levels would be great as it was only that table i was interested in at mo.. and i would be interested in that handbook sometime in the future . im only starting level 3 at end of august.. so just have the formulae to work out and dont know what else would be in that book.. thanks

Reply to lumens/W lux flux and all in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net