Discuss Lux level in office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys
Not sure if its going to be known or not but partner works in a small office and recently they changed the lights to led panels. The bloke designing it decided 6 of these would be ok as there were 6 lights before.
Well the mrs and all her colleagues are now complaining the lights are too bright and causing headaches etc.
The bloke who designed it came in with his friend who's an electrician and they got a reading of approx 500 lux at the one desk. Hes saying he knows it's ok as he designed it and it's probably because they blocked up an air filter.....for some reason???
Just wondering if anyone knew the level of lux allowed or if there was more to it in terms of size of room what it's used for etc?

Cheers guys

Bet he didn't measure the levels before?
Try this here;
Lights LUx.PNG

probably compaining because the boss can now see them nail painting.

Had this so many times.

original light fittings are 4 x 2ft tubes scattered around a suspended ceiling.

often, people who don't like lots of light will take a starter out so fitting is now 2 x 2ft tubes.

or

tubes have failed and not been replaced.

workers have got used to low lighting levels in office.

boss decides that the lighting is poor and has them changed for led flat panels.

now the lighting is up to standard and everyone should be happy?

no, there is ONE person in the office who doesn't like the new lighting and starts complaining that it is too bright, gives them head aches etc.
this then is like an illness, it spreads round the office and everyone gets it.

sometimes it is just people not liking the change.

othertimes, it is that the wrong colour fittings have been put in.
eg, the original tubes that were only half working were warm white as they were changed by a contractor who used the cheapest tubes available. now you have white light it seems so much brighter, everyone complains.

only thing you can do is go back to the recommended light levels, confirm that you have provided lighting that is within the levels recommended for that environment and get on with your day.

most of the time, people get used to the changes and the complaints die down when presented with an official looking document showing light levels in office, against recommended light levels.

edit:
all bets are off, if you have accidently fitted daylight colour panels.

Last edited:
Seen it every time, i always advise management to wait 2 weeks before making any changes. Occassionally i do go back and slightly alter the positioning of the lights. this is more a problem for spectacle wearers as sometime the light bounces off the inside of the glasses. I have also had the light bouncing off glossy items on the desk.
Basically new lights are so much better, too good sometimes, lol

Stupid question inbound:

How do you measure lux levels?

(From a mature apprentice)

stupid question requires a stupid answer,

you use a lux level meter!!!!

p.s. it looks like a hand held pir detector that you hold in your hand and the pir bit faces up. there is a display that shows "lux"

Spot on, Tel!
But James got it right...show them a printout with the relevant info and most folks will just accept it.
I have bored you all before with my workshop lighting stuff, but I have to say that most people using it really prefer a much higher light level once they get used to it. New folks just accept what they get, and actually comment on how great it is to be able to see properly, without shadows.
Providing low levels will cause more complaints than high levels, and if you can find the right combination...it's possible to dim some LED panels...but that's a whole different story. We decided to go with a commercially produced scheme which stated the lux level we needed for workbench heights and general working, and we provided task-lighting at bench level for those who needed it...so far, those task lights are unused, but they are there if required.

Cheers for the response guys
I thought are first it was the whole not used to it but when she said how many they put in and knowing how small her office is etc I thought well I've fitted those panels before and they are bright enough to singe my pubes.
My only consolation is that...well....I dont have to work in that office :p:p:p

500 lux at desk level is spot on for most applications, for fine detail work, up to 800 is recommended. could it be that the kelvin is nearer to daylight (6000K) and wrinkles are showing up?

Reply to Lux level in office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net