Discuss What's the best way to soften/darken harsh office LED lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Not an electrical question, but hopefully someone can help... I work full-time in a small office, where the LED lighting is horrible.

It's three overhead square fittings (each 21" x 21" or thereabouts). They can't be dimmed and the light is intensely cold/harsh/eye-strain-inducing.

I'm looking for an (ideally cheap) solution, which I imagine looks something like an acrylic sheet to block some of the brightness and soften what gets through. The only way I can think to attach such a thing is with sellotape/duct tape.

I found a couple of things on Amazon ("GlareShade" fluorescent light filters, attached with magnets but the wrong shape and don't seem to soften the light much) and "Rosco e-colour+" acrylic stuff, which seems mostly to be used in film studios.

Does anyone know of a straightforward solution to my problem? I just need to find the right material really, which I can cut to size and just sellotape on to the light fitting. There must be millions of folk working in offices with horrible lights so I thought there would be something pretty cheap and easy to avoid all those headaches!

Any help much appreciated.

TL;DR
Looking for simple way to dim and soften light emitted from office LED ceiling light fittings.
If it’s in a suspended ceiling grid u can just buy one of these - it will sit under the panel itself and hopefully make the light a bit more bareable:

To fit just push the lighting panel up and slide in. It sits on top of the grid.

Thanks snowhead! Will prob end up going for something like this. Now looking into the stuff you put on your window, but trying to find one that's not total blackout - or like the stuff you tint car windows with.

You should not be changing the lighting in your place of work with aftermarket filters.

lighting should have been designed to give good lighting for the task at hand.

white, cool white or even daylight colour temperatures are often used in offices or work areas where detailed work is done.

speak with or write to your manager if you think the lighting is not suitable

You should not be changing the lighting in your place of work with aftermarket filters.

lighting should have been designed to give good lighting for the task at hand.

white, cool white or even daylight colour temperatures are often used in offices or work areas where detailed work is done.

speak with or write to your manager if you think the lighting is not suitable
Thanks James - unfortunately I'm the manager (team of 3 in whole company, answering to non-profit directors) and we rent the office from an industrial estate landlord, so consideration to our comfort is minimal at best. One long-standing employee doesn't consider it an issue, but the other two (mainly me) do.

I'm just looking for the simplest way to soften the brutal lights. If the property owner has a problem with how I achieve that, I'll deal with it separately :)

If it’s in a suspended ceiling grid u can just buy one of these - it will sit under the panel itself and hopefully make the light a bit more bareable:

To fit just push the lighting panel up and slide in. It sits on top of the grid.
This looks good, thanks! Looking for something that reduces the light altogether if possible tho

Bearing in mind the advice above about lighting levels and making alterations to what has been installed...

To lower the light levels, you need a neutral density or ND filter:

0.3 refers to the amount of light reduction. Other typical values are 0.6, 0.9 and 1.2, each getting progressively stronger.

Snowhead linked to some diffusion gel above.

If you're looking to warm the light up, you'll need some colour temperature or CT gel. CTO will warm the light and again, various strengths are available - 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, Full. This will also have the effect of reducing light output too.

Is there an option to have task lighting around the office and switch the overhead lighting off, whilst still maintaining safety, DSE requirements, and all that?

There is a requirement to supply lights in offices that meet the COP for LED lights. The glare factor has to be less than 19 if these do not comply then you could ask the landlord to change them. I always buy UGR (I think it is!) <19 as it is required when fitting new lights. There are specific filters and a lux level also required at the desk level. You may consider moving the light(s) to another ceiling panel so that it is not directly above, or move your desk?

I used to have issues with bright lighting, computer screens etc etc, but I found the perfect solution.

I had an eye test, I got a pair of glasses with the prescribed lenses, I no longer have any issue with bright lights or computer screens.

Reply to What's the best way to soften/darken harsh office LED lights? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock