Discuss Is this light safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Poor phrasing on my part. I know a watts a watt whatever it's supplying. Guess I meant you get more efficiency with
an LED vs Halogen
, but like I say probably didn't communicate it that well, That's why I am in the DIY forum I guess :)
Quite right, that I agree with, I have LEDs all over my caravan and my house, and they are brighter than the old Halogen lights that were once fitted in my downlighters, they are still connected to the same size breaker though to protect the cabling which is used to run the lights.

Its only drawing approx 0.22Amps, so the cable should be fine. It`s protecting the cable you need to think about. It requires low fusing 1-3 amp maximum if using a plug or fused spur. Double insulated means it does not require an earth wire

Thanks Tazz,

What about if this was getting added to the end of a radial circuit in a domestic installation?

22swg, works out approx 0.7mm, so just on the boarder of 6 amp capacity. (0.75mm = 6amp). Should be ok, on a 6A mcb,

If in doubt, fuse it down with a fused spur.

Thanks Tazz, I think I'll put in a 1-3 amp fused spur in there then to be safe. So no need to be concerned about the metal enclosure and no earth then?

no, the internal driver will be selv, so hence becoming double insulated.

22swg, works out approx 0.7mm, so just on the boarder of 6 amp capacity. (0.75mm = 6amp). Should be ok, on a 6A mcb,

Less than 0.33mm² if the online tables I found are correct.

(0.65mm dia if a single strand)

Reply to Is this light safe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net