Discuss Lying customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Englishman

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Why do customers deliberately hold things from you when it will only make your job longer which then costs them more?

Been to a place where the lights keep tripping 4 times now. There is no obvious fault when I get there and test, the IR readings are generally around 70 mega ohm, obviously something is wrong but nothing that should be tripping, been fixed all 3 times up to Friday (been finding numerous visuals every time I look, nicked insulation, loose terminations), put it on a 10a mcb last time I went.

Went back Friday and finally found a dead short between live and neutral at the board, track down the offending link (in the kitchen under the bathroom), ask again, "has there been a flood?" (Asked the first time I went there and was told no, both by tenant and then landlord twice) "oh yeah" she replies "ages ago, there was water coming through that light as it goes, I didn't think that was important because it was years ago"

Why don't customers just tell you what you ask?

I got a call last week light not working in ladies toilet got there asked the manager the problem she showed me I pressed the switch there you go love she replied " I've never had to that before," I said £26.50 please

Repairs are my bread and butter so I have learned to ask all the right questions ie has it happened before, when does it happen, whats on at the time had any floods recently . Also these things are important to you but some tenants have the attention span of a nat and believe me I have had a few bingers as I call them where I would be better asking the bloke next door.

Tell you what mate, I'll pay you time and a half then deduct the lot from you....you're even cheaper than I thought you'd be :)

Repairs are my bread and butter so I have learned to ask all the right questions ie has it happened before, when does it happen, whats on at the time had any floods recently . Also these things are important to you but some tenants have the attention span of a nat and believe me I have had a few bingers as I call them where I would be better asking the bloke next door.

It was one of the first things I asked both the landlord and the tenant. Any drilling recently? Any problems with rodents? Any floods?

Just a pain in the arse sometimes.

I often have to cover for ppl lying to their boss when machines go down... when they don't know me their lies can cost me headaches trying to fault find but once they realise ill cover their back they now tell me how they caused the issue .... operator happy boss happy and I get job done a lot quicker... the amount of time ive wasted through mis-information is unbelievable now I just assume all ppl I meet and don't know are fabricating the truth as I usually prove the cause of the problem to them anyway.

Yep I have lied to the landlord when I was called out to an old biddy who table light blew the 32 ring breaker she said the lamp exploded and then she had the loss of power found table lamp to have aluminium foil wrapped around the fuse (she bought it from a car boot sale.

Also there is a culture thing as well as one I recall was yes that spotlight over the bath was working yesterday "are you sure I said" Yes was the reply "well it was not wired up" I said

I know that many sparks and building engineers are just as bad, especially when they drop a bow lock and think they will get into trouble for it..spent many an hour fault finding something because someone lied or at least covered up the truth..Does my head in, we are all human, we all drop clangers from time to time, i wish they would just say "Oops, dropped a bow lock and it went bang, this was what I was doing!"

Why do customers deliberately hold things from you when it will only make your job longer which then costs them more?

Been to a place where the lights keep tripping 4 times now. There is no obvious fault when I get there and test, the IR readings are generally around 70 mega ohm, obviously something is wrong but nothing that should be tripping, been fixed all 3 times up to Friday (been finding numerous visuals every time I look, nicked insulation, loose terminations), put it on a 10a mcb last time I went.

Went back Friday and finally found a dead short between live and neutral at the board, track down the offending link (in the kitchen under the bathroom), ask again, "has there been a flood?" (Asked the first time I went there and was told no, both by tenant and then landlord twice) "oh yeah" she replies "ages ago, there was water coming through that light as it goes, I didn't think that was important because it was years ago"

Why don't customers just tell you what you ask?
let em lie...it all goes on time...
more lies=more££££

I often have to cover for ppl lying to their boss when machines go down... when they don't know me their lies can cost me headaches trying to fault find but once they realise ill cover their back they now tell me how they caused the issue .... operator happy boss happy and I get job done a lot quicker... the amount of time ive wasted through mis-information is unbelievable now I just assume all ppl I meet and don't know are fabricating the truth as I usually prove the cause of the problem to them anyway.

Agreed, you get liars, damn liars and then you get machine operators.

Reply to Lying customers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net