Discuss Magic eye, TV aerial in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sjhall

-
Reaction score
Hi Ppl, sorry in advance for the most basic of Q's.
I'm doing a freebie tmrw for a good friend, Sat, TV etc isn't something I know much about, anyway- my friend had Sky HD in one room, 2nd TV in other room, no roof aerial whatsoever

He's asked for a standard tv Aerial in each room and a magic eye for sky to other room.

So, if I put an aerial on the roof, run a point to each tv, then a link from sky to other tv through a magic eye, is this the best way, how can I run 2 x coax ( TV & eye ) on 1 TV .
What cable is best to use.

Many thanks

:)

Ste

Magic eyes are soon to be a thing of the past as the new sky boxes do not support them. Additionally uhf analogue distribution systems will soon have their day as there is no need for tv manufacturers to include analogue tuners in their tv's as countries change over to digital tv.
However, to answer your question, yes run a length of screened co-ax to each point (75Ohm RG6 or ct100 if feeling flush) but two to the main tv. Connect aerial to sky box, rf1 to tv rf2 return to loft and distribute from there. If only two points (apart from main tv) you can get away with a metal f type splitter and the eye will still work. If more you will have to buy a splitter specific for use with a magic eye but these are amplified and could come back to bite you in the future.
I would also run at least one cat 5 cable to each point for future use (when the analogue distribution system is redundant) and use 35mm back boxes sunk quite deep as the quickest way to destroy a signal is by scrunching cable up or kinking it in a back box.
If only running one additional tv then aerial to sky box and rf2 out straight to second tv, no other cabling needed (except for the cat5)

Ok thanks for that advice, aerials in place and working fine, magic eye runs form sky rf2 to new tv magic eye out magic eye and into which point on back of new tv?
There is a antenna point that the main ariel is in and a Sky Lnb point on back of TV, will magic eye work plugging it into the sky point?

Cheers

No you have to enable the power from the rf2 output of the sky box, the magic eye is then connected to the rf (aerial) in of the second tv. To enable the power you are probably best off doing a google search as the method is different between hd and non hd boxes (easy either box type though).
Should have mentioned that you should have used an lte tuned aerial (loads of wholesalers are still getting rid of non lte aerials) unless you are receiving from a group A transmitter in which case you use a group A aerial

Reply to Magic eye, TV aerial in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock