Discuss Wiring TV and DATA on a new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Evening all

Starting two new builds tomorrow and just wanted to check what other people do with regards the TV and DATA

Its a new builder who i am working for and they have specified dual coax cable for the TV points, can dual coax be used for SKY TV in each room? They have an engineer who they use to do final connections. I had one TV engineer tell me to use three coax cables for SKY Q. Just wondering what other people do?

With the DATA i wire one cat6 back to a central point and provide a 8way gigabit Ethernet switch to get hard wired internet to each point

Do other do any differnet?

With Sky Q you only need a twin to the main box, the rest are wireless. In fact with the right bits you only need a single Coax. I would have a word with the TV engineer and see what he says....There are a few different ways of wiring it.

Twin from dish to main box position (living room) for sky. Singles to bedrooms and main box position for digital, wired back to a central point. And from central point to Arial position. Worth having at least one data at each tv position for smart connectivity.

It would depend on the standard of the house.

Pull shotgun coax into the main sitting room and kitchen.

Single coax into bedrooms.

You'd then need to pull separate coaxes for TV aerial.

It depends on size of house and budget.. but on a decent size home id usually wire shotgun & 2 cat 5e between each outlet & a central point.
5 coax to dish & a conduit/duct from central point or router position for fibre/bt cable..
4g euro plate with appropriate inserts at each point & switch/splitter to suit in central location.

All aspects covered then, but i dont go up aggainst prices so realize this isnt plausible on every job.

It varies from spec to spec..
On standard/average new builds you are best going with what the tv guys recommend for that type of house..
Last one, we installed 2 cat 6 cables to every room and tv distribution was through a matrix..
Also wired 2 coaxials to each point just Incase there was a need for terrestrial tv

Whichever way you choose to wire it I would put all the drops in pvc containment with some extra capacity to allow for future changes / extra cables if costs allow
The fact is that the way TV / Data is delivered to the point of use is changing continuously and certain aspects are going to change within the next decade with much faster broadband becoming available and also higher definition TV
As with all customers the main issue is cost so unless the customer can understand some off technicalities and future proofing it can be a hard sell

Cost is often a consideration...but i sell the multiple cable solution on the basis that redecoration is messy and expensive as a retro-fit.
Things are changing, as UNG pointed out...but even with current technology, shoving in some cat5e or cat6 and 2 shotguns is worth the extra cost really.
One day, we will all be firing in fibre too...and some will tell us it is negligent not to do so! In a short run, ribbon HDMI can be useful too, especially if you can get it in the plastic trunking before you plaster over...
Ah, the old days, when I used to run extra speaker wire behind the coving...
only used it once, and that was for a doorbell!
I used to dream of a situation where you cold use the plumbing for elv...hot pipes for L, cold pipes for N, and just make sure you had pushfit plastic junctions at the extremities...but someone invented bonding...and anyway, Hi-Fi buffs want the latest "uni-directional" copper cable for speakers (Google it!)...or don't, actually, the price will make your eyes water!
My dream now is a bungalow with full-height basement and full-height attic, plus a walk-round void behind all the rooms...not that I'm a voyeur, you understand, just want an easy solution to next generation wiring...and plumbing.

and anyway, Hi-Fi buffs want the latest "uni-directional" copper cable for speakers (Google it!)...or don't, actually, the price will make your eyes water!

While objective tests may perceive some benefit can the average human ear detect it or is it a "placebo effect" that the cost makes it sound better

I was in PC World with a mate a good few years ago and was laughing about the £80 HDMI cables and could you tell the difference as we where at the checkout the guy serving us then started telling us how you could really see the difference in picture and sound quality using the expensive cables
Fast forward a bit to a Gadget show blind test of a few variously priced HDMI cables and most of the "experts" picked out the cheapest cable as the best performing cable.

Reply to Wiring TV and DATA on a new build in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock