Discuss Proper way to ground and bond an antenna on the opposite side of the service entrance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BuzzHazz

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. First time poster here. I did find one thread on here that touches upon this topic, but my setup is a bit different. I want to install a TV antenna on the south wall of the house or perhaps the eve above it, The roof is concrete tile, so I don't want to try mounting anything up there. The meter/service entrance is on the opposite side of the house, and the service panel is kind of in the middle of the basement. I THINK I know what I need to do in general with regards to bonding/grounding, but I'm posting for some advice on specifics and in the event I'm missing something.

* I already have an RG6 cable running between the eve location and a structured media center in the mechanical room.

* I will drive a 5/8" ground rod into the ground below the antenna. I read somewhere that I need to go at least three feet into the ground but can't find a reference. Is three feet minimum correct?

* I will ground the antenna mount to the ground rod with 10 AWG copper wire. (NOTE: I read that this wire can also be a 17 AWG copper-clad steel or bronze wire wire that is sometimes paired with coax cables. How these two wires can be equivalent to each other? Just curious.)

* I will insert a grounding block close to the antenna and ground the block to the new grounding rod with 10 AWG copper.

* Finally, I know I need to bond the new grounding rod to the existing ground electrode system with 6 AWG copper. I'm uncertain as to the best way to do this. It will be a real pain to run around the perimeter of the house. Can I run the wire from the new ground rod into the basement and connect it to the ground bus of the service panel? If that's legal, are there any downsides? BTW, the plumbing system is PEX, so no copper plumbing.

Thanks in advance for answers/advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 9.29.02 PM.png
    300.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi all. First time poster here. I did find one thread on here that touches upon this topic, but my setup is a bit different. I want to install a TV antenna on the south wall of the house or perhaps the eve above it, The roof is concrete tile, so I don't want to try mounting anything up there. The meter/service entrance is on the opposite side of the house, and the service panel is kind of in the middle of the basement. I THINK I know what I need to do in general with regards to bonding/grounding, but I'm posting for some advice on specifics and in the event I'm missing something.

* I already have an RG6 cable running between the eve location and a structured media center in the mechanical room.

* I will drive a 5/8" ground rod into the ground below the antenna. I read somewhere that I need to go at least three feet into the ground but can't find a reference. Is three feet minimum correct?

* I will ground the antenna mount to the ground rod with 10 AWG copper wire. (NOTE: I read that this wire can also be a 17 AWG copper-clad steel or bronze wire wire that is sometimes paired with coax cables. How these two wires can be equivalent to each other? Just curious.)

* I will insert a grounding block close to the antenna and ground the block to the new grounding rod with 10 AWG copper.

* Finally, I know I need to bond the new grounding rod to the existing ground electrode system with 6 AWG copper. I'm uncertain as to the best way to do this. It will be a real pain to run around the perimeter of the house. Can I run the wire from the new ground rod into the basement and connect it to the ground bus of the service panel? If that's legal, are there any downsides? BTW, the plumbing system is PEX, so no copper plumbing.

Thanks in advance for answers/advice.
Just drive a 8 foot ground rod wherever it’s easier for you and it doesn’t have to be tied in to the service. Use # 6 copper wire

Just drive a 8 foot ground rod wherever it’s easier for you and it doesn’t have to be tied in to the service. Use # 6 copper wire
Megawatt, just joined forum! I have the same problem of antenna for cell amplifier being opposite meter. Are you saying that it I put down earth ground rod and ground to it fro mast of antenna I should be grounded ok? What size wire? Thanks for any help you can give me!

Megawatt, just joined forum! I have the same problem of antenna for cell amplifier being opposite meter. Are you saying that it I put down earth ground rod and ground to it fro mast of antenna I should be grounded ok? What size wire? Thanks for any help you can give me!
My friend you can just drive your ground rod and use a minimum of # 10 to # 6 copper. There is no where that you can install a SPD which wouldn’t help you anyway. On antennas there is no minimum on how deep your ground rod needs to be.

So to ground my antenna mast, I just drive a rod in the ground? Can I ground a surge protector also and be safe?
My friend you can just drive your ground rod and use a minimum of # 10 to # 6 copper. There is no where that you can install a SPD which wouldn’t help you anyway. On antennas there is no minimum on how deep your ground rod needs to be.
Thanks for the help!

Reply to Proper way to ground and bond an antenna on the opposite side of the service entrance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net